Saxophone Forum

by The_§ax
(147 posts)
18 years ago

Saxophonist Bodily Deformities?

Hi everyone! I started off playing on an old Bundy Alto as a younger child, and after a few years on that i noticed that my right thumb was very noticably larger on the side which is under pressure. it is probably 1/4-1/3 of an inch bigger, with what seems like thick skin. And the joint is also thicker. I am fonally going to have it checked out soon. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? Or anything like it? Cheers, The_§ax

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax_Shark
    (134 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Saxophonist Bodily Deformities?

Shoot yeah, it happens to most sax players, especially if they are in marching band. Unless it is hurting you I doubt you should worry. Word to the wise...unless the doctor plays sax as well, he won't know what to do with it. I wouldn't let them cut on it any. If it helps, there are some gards you can put on the thumbrest that make them softer. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

So your saying after years of playing the saxophone your actuall thumb changed to deal with the stress of holding your sax up? It actually go stronger then the other one? And your saying if I say played saxophone for 18 years, wait a tic I have!!, my hand would have altered because of it? [dramatic pause while I look at my hands...] YES You are correct my hands do look like they have been altered by playing saxophone for an great many hours while my body developed threw atolesance. How did this happen! My teacher never warned me of this!!! The short story is, Yes they do, if you do anything for a prolong amount of time esp. during atolesance your body will adjust to it. My fingers at rest fit normally to the keys of a saxophone from years of playing. My pinkies are probaby strong then your legs.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by knorter
      (205 posts)

18 years ago

Yes this is a normal thing that occurs.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

I played for two years with my thumb on top of the thumb rest. When I finally started private lessons, my teacher noticed it. How dumb am I? :) My embouchure was weird and the same teacher tied a hankerchief between my lower lip and chin around the back of my neck. I had to use the hankerchief for months. It goes with the territory.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

18 years ago

I can't imagine 1/4 to 1/3 inch difference. You must play a lot. My right thumb is a little bigger, I think all sax players have a bigger right thumb if they play a lot. Don't worry about it, as said before. It goes with playing sax......Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM