Saxophone Forum

by BariSaxplyr
(35 posts)
18 years ago

Invest in your future... buy a Mark VI!!!!!

Everytime i talk to someone about Mark VI tenors they always remark hwo they are just getting more and more expensive and are a waste of money. In THAT case, wont that $4,500 tenor turn itself into a $8,000 tenor someday? I mean, they're not going to last forever. As a young sax player, i can only imagine what it will be like in 40 years when nobody owns one anymore. All those "not as good relacquered" Mark Vi's will suddenly become a collector's item or some nonsense like that. In finance, a 10% return on invested money is good. You buy a Mark VI for $4500 this year, my bet says in 4 years, you'll get $9000 for it!! Thats crazy! I got a mark VI Low A Bari im trying to sell. I paid $2300 for it... i was offered $5,000. SOOO in conclusion, forget the mutual funds and stocks... find a rich guy and convince him to invest in some Mark VI's with you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Roccosm
    (113 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Invest in your future... buy a Mark VI!!!!!

I Have owned My Mark 6 Gold plated since 69 and , I will be buried with it aswell, but I think the most underated Horn out there is a Mark 7, I bought one ser num. 243196 . I love When My M6 player Friend's play it, it is a great Horn and I can"T tell any difference. I see M7 go for 1500-1700.00 , someday they will be worth the Money Mark 6's command.

Reply To Post

2. by Seano
    (132 posts)

18 years ago

Good horns... but incredibly overrated and overpriced. My 1942 Conn alto will eventually fetch more money than those... Sean

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

You sound like my kids !!!! I know that they think that they are going to get my instruments. I'm going to give the Mark VI's to USC music department. My tenor is worth 10 times what i paid for it. It's been through a war, 3 wives, and drug addiction. i wouldn't sell it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by knorter
      (205 posts)

18 years ago

Right on Terry- Mark (the guy who runs this site) has wanted my 59XXX mark VI alto for years. I told him that I would be buried with it :) They are growing in value and not all of them are worth it. Don't be fooled by the name it's just like mouthpieces. A horn only amplifies what you do yourself. People are selling Mark VI's that are not good horns but every once and awhile you find a great one and when that happens it is unreal.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Seano
        (132 posts)

18 years ago

Well ever since Dave Guardala halted production, the price of my tenor has absolutely sky-rocketed. But then again... she's my missus. Wouldn't sell her. Sean

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

18 years ago

You are so right. If I had the storage room I would buy every Mark Vi I could find and just wait for them to go up more in price. It would be better than the stock market and as good as real estate. I have made money on every Mark Vl I've ever owned. On the other hand, what a shame for all the horns that are stored. They were made to be played. I even hate to think of these great horns being owned and played by bad players. A Mark Vi deserves to make wonderful music........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by JZ
      (83 posts)

18 years ago

The next "new" Mark IV

Re these horns getting increasingly rare and expensive and investing: What about the possibility that someday someone will figure out why the M6 is so great and duplicate its magic, or maybe surpass it? Just a discussion point. Then again, they have not been able to reproduce the Stradivarius. Is it the consensus that the M6 is a saxophone Stradivarius?

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

Re: The next "new" Mark IV

I don't own anything that I wouldn't play. I'm with Kelsey- a shame to collect musical instruments. They're built to make music, not money. As far as the Strad theory, no, not in the same class at all! One blow on a 6M or a good Martin will cure you of this misconception.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

It really surprises me that the Mark VI's bring as much money as they do. They are a good horn, no doubt; especially those from the 50's. When you look at the modern Selmers, or any other horn, the earlier Mark VI's were just built with so much more precision, and better metals were used. It's like comparing the cars of the 50's to those today. The old 50's cars were built like tanks, and they were considerably heavier than the cars we have today. But just like the cars of the 50's lack some of the modern conveniences found on cars today, so do vintage horns. While the lack of a hi F# key, adjustable spatula keys and thumb rest may not make a difference to some players, others are going to require them. Clearly vintage horns are not for everyone. At the moment, there the Mark VI is in high demand, but I really doubt that the Mark VI will increase much more in value over the next 5 years. I could be wrong, but I think that newer horns like the Reference 54, Yanagisawa 991, Yamaha 82Z, Keilwerth SX-90R and the Cannonball Big Bell Global Series are going to be the preference of younger players; having started on more modern horns. As for Selmer recreating the Mark VI? I believe that they have come about as close to doing so as modern technology and metals will allow with the Ref. 54. Selmer Mark VI the Stradivarius of saxophones? It would seem so to an extent. The Mark VI has been one of the most popular saxophones ever among professional players. It all depends on your style and the type of music you like to play. The old Conns, Kings, Martins, and Bueschers also have great tone!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by chiamac
            (586 posts)

18 years ago

just my .02 here... I'll agree with Jim about them holding current value over the next few years. There are just too many good new horns and undervalued vintage ones out there that this bubble is going to have to burst. Sure they are great horns (although I haven't played one yet) but someday word is going to get around that "hey I can buy a rockin 10M for 1/4 the price of a selmer" then sub the 10M for a whole range of horns. As far as being an investment... I have two opinons about that. I can buy art as a investment, BUT the only sure money on that is art worth over 100K, the rest you buy it because you like it. I would rather invest in stocks, mutual funds, whatever, then subject myself to price fluctuations in horns. If you're going to buy a mk vi, do it because you like the horn or want to collect them, but not because you want to own a little gold mine. my .02

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by martysax
            (148 posts)

18 years ago

I've been a Super 20 player for over 30 years. Back in 75 I had the choice between a Super 20 and a few Mark VI tenors and chose the King for its ability to sing through the section with its relative brightness. It's an awesome solo/R&R/bluesy horn and has worked well in all playing situations since 1975. I'd always been the only non-Mark VI player in the circles I'd traveled and all the Mark VI players loved my horn. Emilio did some custom work to make it even nicer. I did finally break down and buy a Mark VI tenor. Rayburns was looking like it was going out of business a couple years back and I asked Emilio to prepare a 1964 Mark VI for me. It's a sweet horn, goes great with an old florida Link, and I haven't played it at a gig yet. Why did I buy it? Legacy, to have a vintage Mark VI tenor set up by a master is something special. I'd rather have it than pine for it in the window years from now wishing Emilio was still around. The time was right. Will I play it? It's like a mistress. Maybe, maybe not. If you're in the right spot at the right time, you might catch me with it. Will I sell it? No, not unless someone comes up with an obscene amount of green for it. At the moment $15K would be pretty obscene.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

Connsaxman, I've been saying that the Mark Vls won't increase much in the next five years for at least 20 years, yet every year they go up in price. In a perfect world there would be better new horns being made and the demand for all the old Conns, Kings, Martin, Bueschers and Selmers shouldn't be like it is. I've given up on finding a new sax that plays as well as my Mark Vl. I have a yamaha 62 tenor that I use as backup. The Yamaha is a good tenor and I play it when I think my Selmer might not like the humidity or on a gig that isn't that interesting anyway. A good repair man can keep a vintage horn making music for a long time. They won't be around for ever and I'm glad I have an Mark Vl Alto and Tenor that I really like.........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

Everything's going up in price. I've especially noticed the increases for the Mark VI, Buecher Truetones and TH&C 400s, and Buffet Superdynaction horns over the past year or two.

Reply To Post

4. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Have you seen the prices of The martin, aristocrat and 10m's lately !! they are going up drastically, lucky i have a good supply of them . Word is getting around of how good they are Dave

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I just think that the Selmer Mark VI's have reached their peak as far as price. I don't think the prices are likely to come down any either. For many players in my age bracket who have been playing for 15 years or more, the Mark VI is somewhat of a "Holy Grail" when it comes to saxophones. They have been identified as one of the best saxophones of all time (although I favor my Conn 10M). We have played with musicians who have been playing Mark VI's since they were new, and we have drooled over their horns hoping to be able to afford one in nice condition someday. We're the ones who are paying the outrageous prices for vintage Selmer Mark VI's. My logic is that players over age 50 probably already have a Mark VI, or another horn that they are well satisfied with. Those players under age 25 are likely to play a Mark VI and think that it's a little too "antique" for their liking, and prefer something like a Cannonball, Yamaha 82Z, or a more modern horn with a High F# and modern advantages. It's those players who are ages 30-45 who are buying the vintage Mark VI's, and driving up the prices. Still, as Dave said, a lot of younger players are looking into vintage horns. Many of the American horns, like Conn, Buescher, King and Martin a great value, and sound great too! Sometimes owning a vintage horn is like owning a piece of music history and connecting yourself with an era when sax was king!

Reply To Post Yahoo!