Saxophone Forum

by ldewstow1
(1 post)
18 years ago

martin questions

hi folks.. i have been given an old martin low pitch tenor by a relitive who was a professional musician. it amazes me, i have not touched a sax for over 60 years but was able to pick it up and play almost as well as i did then. [ i have been playing the bass for the last 40 years] it all came back. i wonder if anyone can give me any info on this instrument. it is serial number 124071, gold with silver keys,pearl finger buttons. and says low pitch on it. the engaving on the horn says "martin" elkhart ind. and it has some other engrving that these old eyes can't quite make out. it looks a little like "houndog' but i can;t be sure. there is a lot of fancy engraving on it. not interested in selling it as i have a grandson who is a music major at western mich. university and he is learning all instruments.he is a trumpet virtuso,also plays clarinet,piano,guitar,flute and trombone so i think he would appricate this instrument. any help would passed on to him. thanks... lee dewstow

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: martin questions

The serial number points to it being a 1937 horn. In that year, you could get a Martin Handkraft "Committee", "Standard", or "Standard Special". If you look around the engraving on the bell, you should see one of those models mentioned there. The Committees are said to be the best players, and the other two are 'watered down', but all of them are great horns, and great players. Your grandson should be happy to play that horn! I play a 62' "The Martin" Committee II 'Official Music Man Model' as my main bari these days, the sound of the old Martin horns is top notch, you cant get it with a modern horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: martin questions

Congrats on a fine horn, it should be a martin handcraft committee and the bell should have searchlights and a city skyscape at the bottom. If the word martin is vertical it will be a committee 2 and will have COMM 2 stamped by the serial number and the dog is a lion. The keys are solid nickel on both horns and is a late 1937 to early 1938 made horn right on the changeover of the two models Dave

Reply To Post