Saxophone Forum

by darrell
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Cheap alto sax

hi there.i play as my main instrument tenor sax.i own a trevor james(horn) and as i am an intermediate player i am quite satisfied by my piece.Anyway i am interested in buying an alto too.As i mentioned before it won't be my main instrument therefore i would like something cheap..(when i say cheap i mean cheaper than trevor james :) can you please help me? p.s i saw in an online site someone selling a new JOLLYSUN alto around 120 euros.Have you heard of them.The saxophone appears decent in the photos... Thank you very much!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Seano
    (132 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Cheap alto sax

You should try the Yamaha Q-Class. They look like crap but they play pretty well and are dirt cheap. They are a very good quality student horn. Sean

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

18 years ago

I think the Qs look all right (what's so great about shiny?), but you can easily find a lightly used YAS-23 for a couple of hundred less than a new Q...

Reply To Post

2. by Seano
    (132 posts)

18 years ago

You should try the Yamaha Q-Class. They look like crap but they play pretty well and are dirt cheap. They are a very good quality student horn. Sean

Reply To Post

1. by Tubby_Man
      (48 posts)

18 years ago

What kind of price are you looking at? If you like your Trevor James Tenor, then I recommend the Alto (although I dont know whether it's put of your price range) vistit www.saxhire.co.uk. This is where you can find the trevor james at it's cheapest. I got my sax from this site.

Reply To Post

1. by darrell
        (4 posts)

18 years ago

Thanx all for the advices!! When you say the Yamaha Q's?what is it?is it a model?or a differnet brand that uses the yamaha name and makes cheaper saxe?(something like epiphone and fender?)could you recommend me some good saxophone sites where i could buy online? Thanx again

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

It's a student-level Yamaha. The actual model number is Q-01, I think. I've only seen them on eBay, but they semm a lot like the YAS-23 but with a matte finish...

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

You could also try a vintage horn (pre-1970) in a brand such as Buescher, Conn, or Bundy. You may get a better horn for less money.

Reply To Post

2. by pcl88
        (1 post)

18 years ago

hi jollysun alto is available at US$285 with shipping or abt.Euro 235 with shipping.The quality is very much appreciated by those who have received in UK,France, Spain,Italy.if you are interested to buy then you can go to www.manufacturer-exporters.com and you willbe suprised with the range of quality instruments they have at reasonable price. have a great day. Thankyou.

Reply To Post