Saxophone Forum

by Sax_Shark
(134 posts)
18 years ago

Sax For College

I am a junior in high school and I am looking for a professional(ish) horn to go to college on. Since I know that it will be exspensive, I'm starting research and shopping now. I play tenor and am looking to continue it through college. I have looked at some Keilwerths, Selmers, Yamahas bu they all look kinda similar. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I am willing to spend a hefty price if I can research it enough. Any and all advice would be welcomed.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by lotsoffun
    (13 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Sax For College

I have a selmer alto and am really happy with it, if you are a good player you should definetly consider the selmer series II or series III for alto or tenor. Yamahas are good, but they're not as good as a Selmer. And Keilwerths ive never played, but I've heard they have a great deep sound

Reply To Post AIM

2. by SaxyDawg89
    (12 posts)

18 years ago

Well Sax_Shark, I'm a Juinor in high school and I'm going to college for music, and i needed to get a new sax too. I ended up getting a beautiful Pre-Chu conn. It was cheap enough that i could spend alot of money to get it Totally restored. It is an AWESOME sax. Dont rule out some of the older horns But, for new saxes, I have only heard good things about the Keilwerth Saxes. Good Luck!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

18 years ago

I would stay away from vintage horns for college studies. They are great horns but the first thing your college teacher will talk about is getting a more modern horn. Vintage horns are harder to play in tune and are harder physically to play because of the way the keys lay under the fingers. Your teacher will probably be playing a vintage horn himself but has overcome the problems a vintage horn can be. You don't need this kind of hassel when learning to play. Pro Yamahas or Keilwerths are both great horns........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I agree with Kelsey on this one. Most instructors are going to advise against buying a vintage horn for college. Personally, if I were buying a horn to play in college, I would look closely at these four, and you decide which one you prefer. The Yamaha YTS 62 It's a lot of sax for the money. I really think this would be my first choice. Why? Because if something were to happen to it at college; ie. stolen, damaged, etc., I would feel better about losing the cheaper Yamaha as opposed to a more expensive Selmer, for example. The sound is fairly neutral. For jazz, you're definately going to want a different mouthpiece. The Otto Link New York series sounds really good on the Yamaha 62 tenor. For legit, possibly a Selmer Larry Teal piece? I'm no expert on legit. Selmer Reference 54 They're expensive; too expensive in my honest opinion, but they have a great sound and they seem to be preferred among college instructors. Aside from the price tag, this is probably the best horn to take to college. Yanagisawa T991 The Yanagisawas are known for their intonation and for having a nice smooth action. They are better suited to legit than jazz, but they can also scream depending on the set-up you use. They are a well made dependable horn that would definately take care of you through college. The Keilwerth SX-90 I would not recommend the SX-90R for college playing. Why? Because there is a substantial difference in price between the two, and the intonation is better on the SX-90 than the SX-90R. The SX-90 also has fewer problems associated with the pads and leakage. I wouldn't recommend a Cannonball for college. They seem a little fragile in comparison to the others I mentioned. I think either the Yamaha, Selmer, Yanagisawa or Keilwerth would prove to be much more durable and dependable. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

18 years ago

Wow, thanks a lot. I think I like the look of the silver YTS 62.....better start the savings fund..... What is the 82Z? I'm just curious. Would the silver vs the gold on that tenor make any difference (the 62)? Thanks for all you advice.......

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

The 82Z and 875 are the two top-tier Yamahas. I haven't played an 875, but I felt the action was noticeably better on the 82Z than the 62 that I tried. The intonation was a *little* better, too.

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

18 years ago

Back in Nov. I spent an afternoon trying most of the tenors they had at the nearest decent store and ended up picking a YTS-82Z. I like it better than the Selmer Series III and it cost $1500 less! Also tried a Yani 901, LASax 800 and several lower-numbered Yamahas... I posted a more complete 'shopping report' here:

Reply To Post

3. by Doc Frazier
        (4 posts)

18 years ago

I have a 2004 Prestini Classic pro alto that I have played professionally since new. I can make you a good deal on it as I have since acquired a minty gold plated CONN CHU. email me : docfraz AT bellsouth DOT net

Reply To Post

4. by deiter1977
        (1 post)

18 years ago

Hey there, I agree with most of what the others have said. The Yamahas are a great deal... if you want to go a little more high end, I've got a Selmer Reference 54 alto that I'm selling to fund my purchase of a new tenor. If you're interested, let me know: derald dot reedy at comcast dot net To email, remove spaces, dot=. and at=@

Reply To Post

1. by Mlenox
          (36 posts)

18 years ago

Hey, Nothing like buying a new horn and there is nothing worse then being told to wait, BUT my opinion is wait. When you get to college your proffessor could really help you determine what you need and want. Part of studying with a prof. is letting them help you find your sound. You may buy one set up and regret it once you and your prof. start to figure out what you want to do with the horn. In addition if you are going to be studying classical saxophone you may need an Alto. Most of the lit. is only for the alto. But once again you wont know all of this until you are in a program. But until then keep shopping around and blowing on different horns. And have fun with it.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax_Shark
            (134 posts)

18 years ago

I hear you, and I've thought of that BUT... I have a King Zephyr Special for a tenor right now and I'm not sure I can make college auditions on it. I've looked around here and I've heard that they are good horns but not suited for legit playing. Should I sell the Zephyr for $ and then get a professional tenor or should I keep it and wait? Thanks for all the responses.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
              (964 posts)

18 years ago

You should be able to use a King Zephyr for legit playing, King horns usually have a pretty good reputation. Shouldn't the audition judges look more at what you can do with the horn, than the horn itself, when determining audition results? Others may disagree, but my advice would be to keep it for now. If you can't make the audition with a King Zephyr, you might not be able to make it with a new professional either, and then you'd be out the extra $ with nowhere to go...

Reply To Post