Saxophone Forum

by Tubby_Man
(48 posts)
18 years ago

How to become a good Improviser?

Whats the key to become a good solo improviser?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: How to become a good Improviser?

How to be a good improviser; good question. I think to start, you need to learn to be a good listener. Listening is the key to improve; being able to recognize chord progressions, follow dynamics, and blend with the other instruments in the band. Listen to the rhythem section. Your sense of timing is critical in improvisation. Practice scales and fingerings. Understanding scales is a big part of improv. I would suggest taking a music theory class. Also, listen to your favorite performers and their techniques. Then, use theirs to develope your own style. Once you've come to understand basic theory and you are more familiar with scales, just play around and have fun with it! You'll soon decide what works and what doesn't. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

18 years ago

I agree with Jim. And it will take a lot of time. Good things don't come easy.........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Tubby_Man
        (48 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the great advice! My private teacher gives me quite alot of theory, scales and arpeggios, so i'm on my way.

Reply To Post

2. by lotsoffun
      (13 posts)

18 years ago

you should learn and play some solos by ear. It will make you a better player

Reply To Post AIM