Saxophone Forum

by Tsaxkid
(29 posts)
18 years ago

A word about my new sax...

On thursday, I went to the closest music shop with a good selection of brands of saxes in Anaheim(called ABI) to buy an alto sax. I tried out a 2 yamaha yas - 62 series 2, 2 yas - 82Z (one on them in silver), a Selmer ref. 54, and 2 Selmer Mark VIs. The yamahas were all very alike: fairly in tune, average tone, good feel, and well built. The selmer ref. 54 was not as solidly built as the yamahas, less in tune, ever so slightly nicer tone, and definitely not worth 4 grand. One of the Mk VI was very good. Its tuning was better than most vintage instruments, and very easy to handle for even a student like me. It was a very unusual alto, as it had a low A key. The other Mk VI was not as good, and was relacquered at some time. I ended up walking out the door with a yas-62II in my hands, knowing I had gotten a good sax at a good value. Just wanted to share what I thought of the saxes I tried out.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by notlegit
    (11 posts)

18 years ago

Re: A word about my new sax...

That is disappointing to hear about the Ref 54. Which finish did the horn you try have? Is there any difference in sound based on the finish, I wonder? When you say "not as solidly built," what do you mean? Was it lighter in weight, or just a general feeling? I am curious because I think the horn is beautiful.

Reply To Post

1. by Tsaxkid
      (29 posts)

18 years ago

Re: A word about my new sax...

The finish on the ref. 54 was plain gold lacquer. It felt as though the mechanisms did not function as well, a little lighter, and did not have as many adjustment screws. Some of the pillars were weak, and the neck was so loose in the socket that no amout of tightening could have stopped it from shaking back and forth slightly. It is possible that the horn I tried out was not set up well, or in need of slight repair. But I do not believe that the ref. 54 is not worth nearly so much as it costs, and that there are other horns that are are of similar quality for much less.

Reply To Post