Saxophone Forum

by saxs_make_it_happen
(42 posts)
18 years ago

Anyone use a Larry Teal ???

I wanna buy this and i was wonderin if anyone had any comments on the LT mouth piece for alto. Thanx

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxyDawg89
    (12 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Anyone use a Larry Teal ???

I really like the Larry Teal, it is a great concert mouthpiece, i used it on an ancient Buescher Truetone and you get great projection. I plan on getting one myself.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

18 years ago

I use one on tenor a lot. It is a really good concert mouthpiece and goes great with Vandorens. I play it in jazz too, and do pretty well, although I wouldn't reccomend it for a jazz only mouthpiece. Its one of those mouthpieces that gets everything done.

Reply To Post

1. by stray dog
        (16 posts)

18 years ago

I play one on alto and absolutely love it. Rovner dark ligature, was using Vandoren blue box reeds but now I prefer Hemke. Makes a beautiful sound.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The Larry Teal mouthpieces are very good for classical and legit playing on newer Selmer based horns. They don't work too well on vintage horns and they're not intended for jazz. I've never really tried one personally. For a jazz cat like me, playing legit is a lot like being neutered! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Jim--how do you know what that feels like? :-)

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I just remember the look on my cat's face after I picked him up from the vet after having him neutered. He just had this look of distrust in his eyes, as if to say "How could you let them do this to me!" He hid under the bed for a couple days, and didn't eat. It was as if a part of him was missing.....of course, there was! Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about Legit.....like something is missing. Something very near and dear to me!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

18 years ago

stay away from the larry teal it is not a very good mthpiece the square chambered s80 is much better and articulates better as well i played larry teal for about 1 year ( 20 yrs ago i was one of the first ones to bring one in ihn monttreal ) it lacks definition and edge Even Classical needs a little edge It also does not handle pressure very well

Reply To Post