Saxophone Forum

by watson524
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Fingering question on OLD King Zypher

Hi all, I played Alto in grade school (about 20 years ago) and have recently had my dad's old King Zypher (from the early 40's based on serial number - 223XXX) repadded etc. in hopes of picking it up as a hobby again. I have a beginner's book and have a question on the left hand pinky key group. In the book and any fingering charts I can find on line, the left pinky keys are shown as a grouping with a half circle on top and botton and two sqares in between. The King has the half circle on top but 3 square keys coming out from my palm straight across. When I press the furthest one out from my palm, that key and the middle one goes down..... can someone translate for me to get me to my book's notation of 2 half circles and 2 squares in between. Hope that makes sense. Are there any other key changes I'd need to know of to translate old horn to new? I plan to take some lessons as well but am in a "playing around, see what I can remember" stage now. At least I can play a basic scale from C to C (less sharps and flats). Maybe it really will come back like everyone says. Thanks in advance!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Fingering question on OLD King Zypher

The top L/H pinky is for G# , outer lower key is C# ,middle is B and inner is Bb Dave

Reply To Post

1. by watson524
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the info. One other issue I'm struggling with is the 2nd octave. D5 is supposed to be L123 and R123 closed plus the octave key. In my mind that's the one at my left Thumb. But the what I'm stuggling with is that the octave key doesn't open when I hit that when L123 are already closed....

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

The octave key wont open until you hit L1+2 . The body octave key will open when you hit L123+R123 Dave

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

That sounds backwards to me... was it so on the Zephyr?

Reply To Post