Saxophone Forum

by jacobeid
(24 posts)
18 years ago

tone problems-mouthpiece and reed combo cause?

Alright, So this is my 4th year playing sax. I play on a selmer paris series III with a jody jazz classic mouthpiece ( .78 or #6 facing) and Vandoren 3.5 ZZ reeds. Well, currently I'm woking on fixing my embouchure which is way too tight right now. But lately I've noticed that my lower register has gotten a lot of airy tone. Over the weekend I played a Meyer 5m hard rubber mouthpiece and I noticed that the lower register was a more clear tone with less airyness to it. I was wondering if maybe I bumped down to a size 3 ZZ reed and changed my mouthpiece to the meyer, I would have a better and more defined lower register. Do you all think this would help? Oh, also before people are skeptical of everything since this is only my fourth year playing...I've been in music my whole life and my parents are musicians. I have an expensive sax because my school band requires it if you are in jazz ensemble or are 2nd or 1st chair in concert band (I'm in jazz ensemble and I'm second chair as a freshman). So anyway, to all you sax gurus out there...do you think changing some things up would help?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

Re: tone problems-mouthpiece and reed combo cause?

Give it a try and tell us how it works out for you. No one here can tell you what will work for you. ;)

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Ask your teacher. There is noone here that can help you in that respect. What kind of pre-requisite is expensive? What if someone were to buy a sax on ebay for $6000 that was in horrible playing condition? I fail to see the logic in making expensive a pre -requisite. If you or someone else went to the length of buying you a nice outfit, then surely you must have a private teacher. That is the go to person for your problem. You can't buy good tone. Don't despair; ask your teacher :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jacobeid
      (24 posts)

18 years ago

I have lessons in a half an hour, and I planned on asking him too, but thought I'd give this a shot too.

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
        (205 posts)

18 years ago

Jacobeid, Let me ask a few more specific questions. 1. Did you always have this airy sound on your current mouthpiece/reed setup? 2. Do you know what a subtone is? Is that what you mean by airy? If not can you be a little more specific. 3. Does this occur at all volumes? Play low notes really loud, then really softly. Try crescendos and decrescendos. Any difference? 4. Do you tuck your lower lip way in? You said you're working on your embouchere. What is your teacher telling you to change. Sorry to ask so many questions but it will help me try to get to the bottom of your problem. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ