Saxophone Forum

by notlegit
(11 posts)
18 years ago

Reed life

My question is about how long a reed should last. I am a beginning saxophonist and am using Vandoren #2 reeds. I notice that I start getting a bit of a squeek that I dont usually get and/or the reed closes up the mouth piece so I cant even blow through the instrument. I have been practicing for about a month now and have gone through 6 reeds already. Changing the reed to a new one seems to eliminate the problem. Is this normal? How can you tell when a reed is done? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks--- Craig

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by knorter
    (205 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Reed life

Craig, First of all do you make sure the reed is wet before each practice session? I usually just stick a reed into a coffee cup full of lukewarm water about 3 minutes before I'm going to play. Squeeking is primarily caused by the lack of a smooth surface on the back of the reed. This causes gaps between the mouthpiece and reed. They are small gaps but it doesn't take much to cause this sound. Secondly because you are using #2 reeds the tip may be so soft that they are closing off at the end of the mouthpiece. 1. Make sure to soak your reeds enough so they don't look warped at the end. 2. When not in use store your reeds in a reed case (not the one they come in) buy a reed case at a music store for a few dollars. They hold the reed flat when they dry out and help prevent serious warpage. The new reeds are a little harder when you first break them in so that's why they work. Have you tried 2 1/2's ? Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by notlegit
      (11 posts)

18 years ago

Hey Kristy The reeds are plenty wet when this starts happening. It is usually after about 30 minutes into a practice session. I will play a song a few times through, then squeek or nothing. I will get a case, my instructor said to do the same thing. I will also get a few 2 1/2's and experiment. Thanks for your advise. Craig

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

Craig, I think it might be a case of fatigue. If the reed is ok for thirty minutes, then you might just need to take a break. Your teacher should be on top of this. Does the tone fall off during your lesson? Teachers should be aware of these things. I like Vandoren reeds, but you need to pick them carefully. You might like La Voz medium also. Sometimes when i'm working on new riffs, I get closer to what I want, then i get tired and fall off. I just walk away for ten minutes and come back to it. I hope it works out for you :) Terry

1. by notlegit
          (11 posts)

18 years ago

Terry This is actually a new thing. My last lesson was this past Thursday and this problem started Friday night. I will talk to Him about it tonight though, at his gig. I will try stepping away for ten, to see what happens. I am still building my chops (probably for the rest of my life I will be, right) so fatigue could likely be a problem as well. Thanks Terry and I will get a few La Voz mediums soon and experiment with that as well. Craig

Reply To Post

2. by saxjuan
        (12 posts)

18 years ago

I found that applying cork grease to the reeds before I play they last longer and they have a better response, besides if you are using a softer reed it'll be consume a lot faster than a harder one, but you need to work it up little by little taking care of your embrochure.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

The thought of putting cork grease on a reed sounds wierd to me... anyone else do that?

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
            (205 posts)

18 years ago

I don't use cork grease, but probably even more gross is that I will rub my fingers on the reeds and release oil from my skin to seal the reeds after I have broken them in and worked on them for a week or so. Once they are good then I'll seal them to prevent water from warping them as much. You really can't stop the moisture from evaporating completely but you can slow it down. Kristy

1. by jamterry
              (573 posts)

18 years ago

I wipe my reeds on my pants and lay them on a stack of paper. When I'm finished playing through all of them, I put another stack of paper on top of them. It keeps them straight as a ruler. I was looking for some music and I found four reeds. They must have been there for years. They are nice and straight, and they play fine. My teacher used to tell me to get a little oil from the side of my nose to make the slides easier.