Saxophone Forum

by kennyz
(31 posts)
18 years ago

Buescher Aristocrat 140 and the "Big B"

Hello guys, someone can tell me the real differences in theme of tone, intonation and mechanics between these two saxophones? I have found on Saxpics that there essentially no differences among the two escept for the engraving on the bell. On steve Goodson site the Big B is described as the best of Aristrocrat models. So if someone has tried, can tell the differences? About the neck, which models have the mark 01? Thank you very much for your interest !

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Buescher Aristocrat 140 and the "Big B"

They are the same horn and buescher left the engraved big B off the later horns but the first big B was the same as the first series 1 aristo with a smaller bell , confused ? This model spanned 3 buescher models and buescher had dropped the neck stamp by then Dave

Reply To Post

1. by kennyz
      (31 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you Dave! I suspected it also when I have seen that the 140 have the "golden" springs... But , excuse me, maybe I've not well understood....the 01 mark appear only on the Big B series?

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

No that was on the earlier true tone model after the addition of the front top F (around 1926 i think ) and carried on thru the new aristocrat range . I have a series 1 aristo tenor but i cant remember seeing the stamp on the neck and i cant be bothered to go in the attic to check !! The true tone had an asterix * mark or two then went to numbers either 1 or 01 etc. I have 3 true tones so i suppose i should go and have a look sometime Dave

Reply To Post

2. by Roccosm
      (113 posts)

18 years ago

Hi kenny can You tell me what a Buesher academy might be, Year Model. Thank You

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

An academy horn has no side keys etc and goes down to C. Its a first learner horn , value not a lot Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Roccosm
          (113 posts)

18 years ago

Thank You Dave, it is a weird looking horn . with a Hole at the back of the bell? Thank's

Reply To Post