Saxophone Forum

by Tsaxkid
(29 posts)
18 years ago

Do finishes make a difference to the sax?

I was just wondering if finishes make any difference to the sound and playability of a sax. Do some finishes make more of a difference and others less? Thanks for the info.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Do finishes make a difference to the sax?

Some say yes, but truth be told the only person that will actually be able to tell a difference is you. Your audience wont be able to tell the difference between the sound of a concrete horn and a Brass one

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

...a bit of an exageration, there. A concrete horn will not resonate at all like brass, you'd have to sing into the space and hope the sound carried to the audience. That said, your audience would have to be made up of people with very particular and picky ears to pick up on the difference between two horns with different finishes--all else being the same. The difference would be so minute as not to exist for most of our ears.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

there was a post on here a WHILE ago... (really, it was along time) about different types of flutes and how they sounded. turns out silver sounds the same as gold, sounds the same as platinum. I would assume a sax is the same since air is moving around to make the sound in both instruments. I can't search for that thread now, but I'm sure it's still around.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

18 years ago

I used to have a friend who had the most ugly old vintage tenor I've ever seen. It was green in places but it had the most beautiful sound. He was a great player and lived in Florida without air conditioning. Although he always wiped his horn off after playing, the high humidity was winning the war. Although he was a well known tenor player he never made much money. Over the years he couldn't afford to have much done other than keep the horn in playing condition. He had actually been fired off bands who wanted a shiney tenor played by a younger player. New and shiney, no matter what color your sax is, will only please the people who like the way a horn looks and not what it sounds like. Tommy is gone now and is missed by me and all of the Jazz musicians and fans...Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

18 years ago

If you could get two horns exactly the same finish would make a very small difference Two identical horns is not possible so the solution is find a good horn and forget the finish Unless you can have someone at the factory try 100 horns of the same finish and pick one for you ( a luxury few have access to)

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

The way you play will make much more difference in the sound of your horn than the finish. Especially so to your audience, most of whom will usually not be musicians. Also especially so if you play thruogh a P.A.

Reply To Post

2. by lotsoffun
        (13 posts)

18 years ago

some people say that silver saxes are brighter than gold saxes and black saxes have a deeper tone. Personally i think it's horse dung.

Reply To Post AIM