Saxophone Forum

by WillDSpecs
(9 posts)
18 years ago

Upgrading Mouthpieces

I've been Playing a Meyer Hard Rubber 6M on my Bari forever, but I finally decided that I really need to switch to Metal moutpiece to keep up with the volume and tone of the trombone and trumpet, as well as the electric guitar and drums. I've been looking at facing charts and it seems that I'm looking at upgrading to a more open facing as well (according to most charts the 6M has an opening around .098, and the next step up is in the .100-.105 range in other brands) My only concern is how the new opening will affect my playing. I haven't gone up in tip openings for a while, and i'd like to know what to expect right off the bat, as well as tips and tricks to get manage a more open mouthpiece. Anything someone can add about their own experieicnes would be great. Thanks in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Upgrading Mouthpieces

My own experience (on tenor) has been that a change from .090 to .098 had me squeaking like crazy. It helped a little to drop the reed strength by 1/2, but I still couldn't quite manage it. Then I fell back to .0925 for a while, and when I tried the .098 last weekend I hardly squeaked at all, so I've been working on the assumption that a change of .005 or so is pretty easily manageable. I would expect all that to scale up some for the bari, so I'd guess a switch from .098 to .105 would be pretty easy...

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

18 years ago

I moved from a Rousseau Classic 4R (.076) to a Runyon Custom Spoiler 7 facing (about .09something), at least a jump of .015. I adapted pretty much immediately, but that's just me. SO I think you could handle the Runyon pretty quickly.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

18 years ago

oh yeah, and I cut through the trombone section pretty easily in concert band, this was, of course, without the spoiler.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

Shouldn't be much of a problem for you if you don't go overboard. Remember that with a more open tip you may need to go to a softer reed. If you go to a high baffle piece it will take somewhat less air than, say, a Link or other large chamber piece. On the other hand, it may be harder to control. And regarding Runyon, their facings are usually nicely done which will also make an easier blowing piece. Do your homework as to the kind of sound you're looking for and which brands will get you there. Try a few out in different sizes as well as different brands. And take a variety of reeds when you go. Most important, enjoy the shopping!

Reply To Post