Saxophone Forum

by John316
(6 posts)
18 years ago

Sax on Ebay

I've seen a company from the UK selling brand new bari saxaphones on ebay and was wondering if anyone has heard of them? They claim to be made specifically for them and are professional quality...but I see in the background the boxes say "Made in China". I am new to this sax world, but heard that I should avoid Chinese saxaphones. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Sax on Ebay

They make them especially for who will buy them. I would go with a well known name brand , secondhand or vintage Dave

Reply To Post

1. by John316
      (6 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you for your reply. Have you ever heard of the Amati sax?

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

I agree that the odds of getting a decent quality horn that way are not great, but that doesn't mean it's impossible, either. I recently got a pocket trumpet for my son from a guy in Australia (Storm Trumpets) who has them made in China to his specs. I knew it wasn't going to be pro quality, and I think the value/price ratio was perfect. There were several reasons I decided to take the chance: 1. he's totally up front about the Made in China part 2. he's got a good history of happy customers 3. the price was low enough it didn't seem like too big a risk I guess it's less likely to find Chinese saxes like that, but I'm curious to find out more about the baris you saw - what's the seller's 'name' on eBay?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

Steer clear of the ebay china stuff or anything there in a weird color, its mostly crap. Amati is one of the better asain horns. Not the greatest, but decent

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

Amati is Chech republic made not chinese and are reasonable quality but nothing special Dave

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

my mistake thanks Dave!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by John316
        (6 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for your reply. This is the link on e-bay to the UK bari's. He has a store with a few instraments shown. If you look (zoom in) on the boxes in the background they all say "Made in China". If the link doesn't work, just type in "Bari Saxaphone" then select "Musical instraments" and his will be one of the ones that pop up. It's in the 1,200.00-1,300.00 range. cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-BARITONE-SAX-Gold-Laq-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ7390269892QQcategoryZ16233QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

To be honest a bari is a big money investment so go for a known brand , it will cost more but CHINESE horns are a bad investment and the mpc worth £200 is laughable unless its a new lawton which this one ain't its a chinese copy of whatever !!!. This is a link to a nice bigb bari www.junkdude.com/saxes/bb345335.htm .A pro horn and a worthwhile investment , this is not an advert as i have no affiliation with junkdude , just an example of a quality pro horn that will grow in value rather then a chinese one that will be worthless after you open the box Dave

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

18 years ago

I'll just mention that I've ordered from Junkdude before: my old Truetone Bari. He's a straight shooter and gave me an accurate description of what I bought, packed it well, and was a pleasure to deal with.

Reply To Post