Saxophone Forum

by k3jsch
(6 posts)
18 years ago

Question: My Buescher saxophone

Hello: Since 1978, I have owned a Buescher. It originally was labeled "Aristocrat" and has the serial number on the back under the thumb rest of "47101D". Does anyone out there have any idea what its lineage is (year made, etc.). My mom bought it used in '78 for me. Thanks K Schauf

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Question: My Buescher saxophone

Never seen letter D after the serial before. If its a selmer buy out model it will have a round bar as a neck brace and , possibly, the buescher logo as a blue transfer on the bell Dave

Reply To Post

1. by k3jsch
      (6 posts)

18 years ago

Dave: Yes, this instrument did have a blue transfer on the bell, although it is mostly eroded/worn/other off. By neck brace, are you referring to where your neck chain hooks into or ??? Kelly

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

sounds like that last 'D' may be a poorly stamped '0' That horn was made after the Selmer buyout of buescher in the early 60's and was probably made before 1970 (correct me if wrong). Buescher horns made shortly after (within a few years) are still very good instruments, just not as valuable on the vintage market due to their compromised pedigree and simpler build.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

neck brace is the long bar soldered to the neck of the instrument but you ansewered the question as its a selmer buyout horn because of the blue decal Dave

Reply To Post

2. by k3jsch
          (6 posts)

18 years ago

Actually, upon closer investigation, that last digit is a '9' for a total serial number of '471019'. The pictures of the instrument and case are at: webpages.charter.net/kpschauf/sax1.jpg webpages.charter.net/kpschauf/sax2.jpg webpages.charter.net/kpschauf/sax3.jpg webpages.charter.net/kpschauf/sax4.jpg There is what appears to be tarnish and spotting on it. One guy I talked to said that there really wasn't a whole lot that could be done about that. Not sure -- given the spotting -- what this instrument is worth, but I use it at one of the local blues/R&B jams around here and people don't seem to mind its sound. Still sounds good. K Schauf

Reply To Post

3. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Thats from around 1968 , its the tenor that has the bar neck brace Dave

Reply To Post