Saxophone Forum

by saxjunkie89
(393 posts)
18 years ago

THREE SAXES?!?!

I know there was a discussion recently about playing two saxes at the same time, but has anyone played THREE saxes at a time? I did today. Alto, tenor, and bari, all at the same time. I know it sounds impossible, but I got a sound out of all of them at the same time. Has anyone else done this yet?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

18 years ago

Re: THREE SAXES?!?!

oh, and I know about that one guy who professionally did, but I can't quite remember his name...

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
      (300 posts)

18 years ago

Roland Kirk?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

Bingo, Mark's got it

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by lotsoffun
      (13 posts)

18 years ago

like did you play notes or just got sound out of them?

Reply To Post AIM

3. by lotsoffun
      (13 posts)

18 years ago

like did you play notes or just got sound out of them?

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

18 years ago

just C#'s on all of them, but when I played just two, tenor and bari, I played Also Sprach Zarathurstra, aka 2001 Space Odyssey. To play that I played 2nd line G on the bari, then the same on the tenor, then added the octave key to the bari's G. After that I went from high Bb to A on both. It didn't sound too bad, and I got a compliment from my director! Write here if any of you do this, just to let me know.

Reply To Post

1. by tsax_player
          (76 posts)

18 years ago

It is a cool trick, and very impressive when done well. I think someone mentioned R. Kirk above he is well known for playing five horns at once. I have seen Jeff Coffin (Flecktones) do this and it was awesome. I am currently writing a classical piece for alto and tenor. I was inspired by the aulos (a medieval pipe that has one mouthpiece but two seperate sets of holes so it produces two tones at once). It has been fun working on it and I hope to premiere it at my senior recital in December. Have fun with it. Tracy

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
            (393 posts)

18 years ago

hows about the aulochrome (two sopranos literally welded together)?

Reply To Post