Saxophone Forum

by n0p
(8 posts)
18 years ago

Keilwerth Saxophones - What is the difference between them?

I'm about to purchase a new professional saxophone. Of what I read, Julius Keilwerth did a great job designing and manufacturing their saxophones. I have a couple of questions regarding those saxophones: 1. What is the difference between EX 90 and SX 90 or SX 90 R? I read about the difference between SX 90 and SX 90 R, but what is the EX 90? Is it a professional saxophone? 2. What is the Anniversary series? I read it doesn't manufactured right now. If so, is it worth hunting? What is the difference between the Anniversary kind of models and the regular kind? Thanks in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Keilwerth Saxophones - What is the difference between them?

the SX 90 and SX90R are different because the R model has rolled tone holes. The EX model line is a student line. The Aniverary series is only diffrent in the engraving

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The EX line is not a pro line, but it's not a student line either. The ST is the student line, which is made by Jupiter in Taiwan. The EX is an intermediate line made by Keilwerth. They're a decent sax, but if you are looking for a professional model horn, the SX is the way to go. The SX-90R has soldered on tone rings that mimic the rolled tone holes seen on the vintage Conn horns. They have a very warm, vintage sound that is great for blues and classic rock as well as jazz, swing and bop. There are different engravings and finishes available for the SX, including the Anniversary edition and the Shadow. I own a Keilwerth SX-90 soprano and I have played many Keilwerths and I absolutely love them! Especially their tenors. They are a high quality horn with an amazing sound. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by LateBloomer
      (6 posts)

18 years ago

Can you compare the SX90R to say Selmer super action 80 Series III?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The SX90R and the Selmer Super Action 80 Series III are as different as apples and oranges. The Keilwerth has a much different action and feel, and a darker, more robust sound. Play both! Decide which one YOU like best! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by LateBloomer
          (6 posts)

18 years ago

I have heard that the SX90 series has been defect ridden, especially related to the C# tone hole being out of shape. I have also heard that the horn has less tone than the selmer. Is that a user issue or a horn issue? I torn. I love the look of the SX90R.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

18 years ago

Somebody here had problems with the pearl keys falling out of his SX-90. I played the Shadow and I liked it. I like the Ref 54 better(better key action) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

I thought the SX was their pro, EX their Intermediate/Advanced (both Keilwerth built), and ST their Taiwanese manufactured student line.

Reply To Post

1. by LateBloomer
          (6 posts)

18 years ago

SX is definetly the Professional model. The reason for asking is that I am considering a step up from a student sax to a professional model (skipping intermediate). I will most likely buy online since there are no notable dealers within close proximity. There is no doubt that the SX90R is a fine looking sax, but from a quality perspective, I am not getting the "warm fuzzies". It may be a case of "you can't really go wrong with the Selmer (Paris)". Any thoughts?

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

18 years ago

I grew up with Buescher, Conn, and Selmer. When I was your age a Yamaha was a motorcycle. I bought Selmers ( Mark VI's) when i was ready for horns that would be my last. I think the Ref 54 rocks. I'm hearing that the keilwerths are falling apart. Selmer had a bad period with the Mark VII and the super 80. Now they are back on track with the Ref 54.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by LateBloomer
            (6 posts)

18 years ago

I hear you. The falling apart part is what I was most concerned with. Thanks for your comments. Super action 80 reference model 54 sounds like the one.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

18 years ago

There has been some concern over the tone holes on the SX-90R, but I do not believe that there was ever a serious problem with the horns. You can't believe everything you hear, especially when the source is pro-Selmer and the US Selmer company has sought to buy up and bankrupt their competition since the 1940's! From a repair tech who services MANY different makes, Keilwerth saxophones are one of the best quality horns that you can buy. Don't be discouraged! They are a great horn!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by LateBloomer
            (6 posts)

18 years ago

Point taken. Since the tone holes have been the subject of many forums, why didn't Keilwerth simply own up to the problem and fix it? I would have thought that honesty and integrity would have gone a long way. Nuff said. Tell me about the sound, because that's really what it's all about. I'm not a professional and don't plan to be and I treat my horns very carefully. Aside from personal preferences, what causes the differences in these horns?

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

18 years ago

To answer your question, "Since the tone holes have been the subject of many forums, why didn't Keilwerth simply own up to the problem and fix it?" As I said, I don't believe that this was EVER a wide-spread problem as some sites and articles you may have read have made it out to be. I can assure you that Keilwerth has excellent customer service and that if you did have a problem with your horn, Keilwerth would take care of the problem. Since the speculation, I believe that Keilwerth has stepped up quality control to make sure that this is absolutely not a problem. If it really concerns you, look into the regular SX-90 without the rolled tone holes. The rolled tone holes give a warmer, darker sound like the vintage Conn's of the 30's The Keilwerth SX-90 sounds similar to a Conn 10M. It's as close as you're going to come to a modern Conn 10M. They're a great horn for blues, jazz, funk, bop, classic rock, swing and just about any kind of music, really. I think the Selmer is a little better suited for classical music. Try one! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by LateBloomer
            (6 posts)

18 years ago

Jim, thanks for the feedback. Your comments have been very helpful. It's just like anything else, there are folks that are pro this or pro that. My "search engine" seems to be pointing me to pro Selmer. Jeff.

Reply To Post