Saxophone Forum

by saxmaniacx
(16 posts)
18 years ago

Meyer Mouthpiece

I'm getting a Meyer 5m soon and i was wondering what ligature i should get? One of my ideas is the Rovner Light Ligature? Is that a good choice?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxmaniacx
    (16 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Meyer Mouthpiece

Reply To Post

1. by jing24
      (31 posts)

18 years ago

a BIG one beacause if u use a c* mouthpiece and use that ligature then you will have to unscrew it all the way or the meyer may come with another one(ligature that is)

Reply To Post

1. by cannonballplayer
        (1 post)

18 years ago

I play a Meyer 5M too. It's an amazing mouthpiece. I recommend the Olegature. It's an awesome ligature and it is a perfect fit with the Meyer. They're a little pricy but definately worth it. But, saxquest is selling them right now for only $35.

Reply To Post

1. by Kitch22
          (98 posts)

18 years ago

I agree, Olegatures are a real nice lig. I bought mine from Saxquest!

Reply To Post

2. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

Do you like the Meyer 5 sound for jazz?

Reply To Post

3. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

Do you like the Meyer 5 sound for jazz?

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I am assuming that you are talking about the 5M ebonite mouthpiece. I really like this piece for soprano and alto. It's a very versatile mouthpiece; good for symphonic band, and most types of music. I like this piece for soprano and alto. For tenor, I prefer something with a little more edge. If you're going to play jazz tenor, a metal mouthpiece like the Otto Link Super Tone Master/ New York, Jody Jazz ESP, or a Berg Larson, is the way to go. Otherwise, the Meyer ebonite mouthpieces are great! "a BIG one beacause if u use a c* mouthpiece and use that ligature then you will have to unscrew it all the way or the meyer may come with another one(ligature that is)" That's because Selmer C*'s SUCK!!! If you're smart, you'll throw away your C* and buy a Meyer too!!! Rovner ligatures are great! I have several of them for my horns; different types. I really like the EVO-5 and the Eddie Daniels. The olegatures are also very good. I would try to steer you more towards the EVO-5 than the light, but either would work well with that mouthpiece. Have you looked at the Otto Link Tone Edge mouthpieces? They have a little more snap to them than the Meyer. The Tone Edge is better suited to rock and jazz. They come with a Selmer style 2 screw ligature.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by GregLauer
          (37 posts)

18 years ago

man c* suck? if this is the case then why are they considered the standard for most professional musicians i know in the classical style? Id say go with the ultimate ligature,, i never had much luck with a leather rovner ligature, and i feel as though the olegature is just an expensive rovner ligature.. ive played on both, and choose the ultimate ligature dont listen to Conn sax man meyer even admits that their mouthpieces are desigend to be the perfect jazz mouthpiece. all sounds fishy to me greg

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Hmm, funny, I don't recall anyone saying anything about classical here, Greg! While many Meyer mouthpieces are better suited for Jazz, the Ebonite pieces are great for concert and symphonic band use. The intonation and projection is MUCH better than that of a Selmer S-80 which is an intonation nightmare. I took a look at your profile, Greg, or ivanjman. I'm sure you just have far too many qualifications to list! I see you have posted a total of 16 comments. I have posted over 2000! You should have played the tuba, Greg. It doesn't require a lot of thinking, just a whole lot of wind!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

It doesn't require a lot of thinking, just a whole lot of wind! Hahahah thats so true its hilarious...

Reply To Post AIM

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I would have embraced the opportunity to have a battle of whits with some people here, but it hardly seems fair to have a battle of whits with someone who is obviously unarmed!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Hehe easy Jim :P Although I still disagree with some of your comments on s80 lets keep it friendly here :P

Reply To Post AIM

6. by skybo053
          (1 post)

16 years ago

That comment would have had so much more credibiliy had you spelled "wits" correctly. Lets keep things friendly here.

Reply To Post

3. by djazzy
        (65 posts)

18 years ago

I have heard much about Otto Links and the Tone Edge mouthpieces. Meyer mouthpieces sound like a good brand to try. My problem is I haven't ever played a metal mouthpiece (even though I'd like to try), and I don't know that I want to purchase a mouthpiece without playing it first.

Reply To Post

4. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

I played on my link today, and it was just like butter... no effort at all to get pretty much any sound I wanted, it's great! =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by djazzy
        (65 posts)

18 years ago

What link did you buy? What facing was it?

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

On soprano I use a Meyer 5M Ebonite mouthpiece. On alto, I use an Otto Link Tone Edge 5* hard rubber mouthpiece which I bought a little over a year ago. On tenor, I use an Otto Link Super Tone Master Florida that was made in the mid 60's. It's also a # 5 facing. I was thinking of buying one of the New York Links in a # 7, until I decided to try a Jody Jazz ESP # 7, which I really like. I don't like the spoiler though. I leave it out. Maybe I'll order a New York and tell you what I think. I sure like the sound of the Otto Link New York on the Yamaha YTS-62 tenor!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

You should try a super session mouthpiece before you buy a meyer. Teachers have told me their very similar to the vintage meyer mouthpieces, and better than the ones they make today. Just an idea.

Reply To Post AIM

8. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

That's a bunch of bullshit, CountSpatula. These teachers must get commission for selling Selmer or something.....sheesh!!!! The chambers are smaller, and they are NOTHING like a Meyer 5M!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Not to mention, they cost half again as much!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

10. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

I have a florida link 8* (not sure on the date, other than it was one of the early ones before the bands on teh shank changed)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

11. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Eerr, sorry jim, I didn't mean to offend you. Thats just my opinion, meyers are weird to me...sorry.

Reply To Post AIM

12. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

No offense taken Count. I didn't mean to incriminate you, but the advise your instructor gave is pure BS!!! The Selmer Session mouthpieces are more like the old Selmer Soloist mouthpieces that were included with the Mark VI's, from what I have been told. I have never personally tried one. Actually, they're not bad on most Selmer horns, but they are nothing like a Meyer. The Meyer has a larger chamber, and the taper is more like the mouthpieces that J.J. Babbitt made for Conn back in the 1940's amd 1950's. The Selmer Session is a completely different animal.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

13. by djazzy
        (65 posts)

18 years ago

The Meyer 5M your talking about is Hard Rubber right?

Reply To Post

14. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Well, Meyer refers to it as Ebonite, but essentially it's the same material. Just a little more information on the JJ Babbitt company: The family owned and operated company began in Elkhart, Indiana over 80 years ago. Jesse James Babbitt, the founder, worked for CG Conn prior to World War I. After the war, Mr. Babbitt decided to start his own business. The Babbitt company has made OEM mouthpieces for several companies; including Holton, Conn, Buescher, and others. Today they are one of the oldest and largest mouthpiece manufacturers in the world. Mouthpiece lines include: Otto Link, Meyer (the two most popular by far), Guy Hawkins, Wolf Tayne and JJ Babbitt. www.jjbabbitt.com

Reply To Post Yahoo!

15. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I should say; I have seen them and handled them. I have listened to them played, but I have never played one myself. So before somebody replies..."You've never even played one so how do you know?", let me just elaborate: I am very familiar with the design and style of the Selmer Session mouthpieces and they are NOTHING like the Meyer pieces. Are they the same as the old Soloist mouthpieces? From what I hear, they are very close. They look very similar. I haven't personally done a side by side comparison between the two. If I lost or damaged my vintage Selmer Soloist mouthpiece, I would probably buy a Selmer Session to replace it rather than searching high and low for another vintage mouthpiece without teeth marks or chips and paying an arm, leg, my first born, and 4 teeth for the damn thing!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

16. by djazzy
        (65 posts)

18 years ago

What do you think about the Otto Links? Are the y cheaper than Meyer mouthpieces?

Reply To Post

17. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Otto Links are my favorite. I absolutely love them. I have several and they're great mouthpieces. They are comparable to the Meyer in price. If you read my previous post about JJ Babbitt, you will see that Otto Link and Meyer are both owned by the same company. They are both great mouthpieces.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

18. by djazzy
        (65 posts)

18 years ago

What Model Meyer would you suggest?

Reply To Post

19. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Djazzy, if you are looking for a mouthpiece for jazz, buy the Otto Link Super Tone Master 6 and I think you will be VERY happy with it. If you want a mouthpiece for school band that will work well with you Conn 10M, buy a Meyer G Series 5* mouthpiece. They sound a lot like the old Brilhart Tonalin mouthpieces. They're fantastic for big band, symphonic or concert band.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

20. by djazzy
        (65 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for your help. I'll save for the Link Suer tone Master. I might get to play test the mpc when I visit Brightman Woddwind Repair this Saturday. If I do I'll get back to you.

Reply To Post

21. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

hmmm 10M and supertonemaster... =) that gets my vote! have fun on Sat!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

22. by djazzy
        (65 posts)

18 years ago

I definetely will. I've been waiting for months to visit a music store. Where can you purchase a supertonemaster online for a discounted price?

Reply To Post

23. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

Better if you get to play a few for yourself, but if you must, Saxquest (of course!), www.junkdude.com, Giardinelli... lots of 'em out there.

Reply To Post

24. by djazzy
        (65 posts)

18 years ago

Do you know any music store in Indianapolis where I could play test a Meyer?

Reply To Post

25. by djazzy
        (65 posts)

18 years ago

I found a Paige's Music store. The music store sells Meyer's and Otto Links.

Reply To Post

26. by GregLauer
        (37 posts)

18 years ago

and maybe you get commission on selling ottolink and meyer mouthpieces.... it goes the same way man...

Reply To Post

27. by GregLauer
        (37 posts)

18 years ago

that one went to conn man jim if he didnt realize it

Reply To Post

28. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

Ivanjman - would you mind filling out your community profile on the site here? Itd be nice to know what kind of expirence you've had in the sax world. Usually doesnt go over well to disparage one of the top posters on the site on your first day.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

29. by goofy_boots
        (5 posts)

18 years ago

I don't know much about mouthpieces, but do any of yall play Jody Jazz mouthpieces, especially on soprano? Are they bad for alto/tenor?

Reply To Post

30. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I have a Jody Jazz ESP metal mouthpiece for tenor. It is a VERY good mouthpiece and has a nice tone. The intonation is quite good on my old Conn 10M tenor. I do not care for the spoiler that comes with the mouthpiece. I have only tried it a couple times, but I don't like the sound and it does seem to effect the intonation. I think it is a better piece for an experienced player, and maybe not such a great mouthpiece for a beginner or inexperienced player. I think that the Otto Link metal 5* - 6* is a great first metal mouthpiece. They have a great tone, and seem to be a little easier to adapt to. As for hard rubber pieces, I have yet to try a Jody Jazz HR, I've heard that they are a fantastic mouthpiece for alto. I use an Otto Link Tone Edge for alto. For soprano I use a Meyer 5M. It's a nice piece for soprano; not to shrill, with excellent intonation and projection. It has a very warm sound. I would hesitate to use a metal jazz mouthpiece on soprano.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

31. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

32. by gottydot
        (41 posts)

18 years ago

I use a meyer 5 mouthpiece on my alto. I also use a light ligature, with 3 1/2 rico/rico royal reeds. Originally, I wanted the dark ligature, but you can tilt the light one to have a bright sound, or a dark sound. I find it a very good combination when playing jazz.

Reply To Post

33. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

18 years ago

I like Meyers on alto if they are set up to at least .075" so they can breathe and give a nice broad spectrum to the tone. Around .070", you could use it as a decent cross-over piece. On tenor, Meyers work well for jazz starting around .090", but I find Link Tone edge pieces to be a more suitable match - especially in the .095" to .110" range.

Reply To Post

2. by Dark Eyes
      (138 posts)

18 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of the Meyer Black Nickel Jazz Metal Tenor mouthpiece. I ordered it from WWBW and I was wondering if anyone had any info on it? Pros and cons? Experience? Any help is, as always, appreciated. Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

1. by kennyj
        (24 posts)

18 years ago

I would stay away from any metal Meyer mouthpiece. They have a hard enough time keeping the tolerances of their rubber pieces. Stay with the hard rubber.... better sound from the Meyer type of piece. Now, may I suggest, an absolutely perfect Meyer? Get a Morgan mouthpiece. In my opinion, Morgans are a perfect mouthpiece, especially for Alto. They give the saxophonist what the (pre-Babbitt) New York model Meyers gave us. ii-V-I kenny j
        kennyj

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

18 years ago

Hand finished Meyers are pretty nice, too! ;)

Reply To Post

2. by Landalin
        (1 post)

16 years ago

Ok here I'm going to put my opinion on several of the topics in this thread: With the ligature situation, just go in and try out various different types and see what you like. I’ve seen lots of alto players using Meyers with Olegatures so I’m guessing that’s a good place to start trying. Now as to the various mouthpieces and if they're good for jazz/classical and for what horn, here's what I think. Meyer: Great jazz piece for alto. It's pretty much the standard for good players. Various teachers and other players I've met all say NY Meyers are the best alto jazz mouthpieces out there. Not sure if it'd be good for classical playing but I'd assume so. C*: Really great for classical playing. Almost every classical player I've met uses a C*. Seems to be the standard in that area. Otto Link: If you want a metal mouthpiece, this is where to go. Almost all of the great tenor players played on one type of Otto Link or another, and the "No USA" Florida models were the best. I however would not reccommend them for altos, as they'll tend to be extremely bright. But if you're looking for a tenor piece this is a good way to go. Morgan: This has got to be one of the greatest mouthpieces of all time. I've had the pleasure of playing on one 3 times at lessons, and man it sounds great. Great warm tone, not very edgy though. If you're into guys with darker sounds, this is the piece for you. Vintage ones are prefferable than the current ones due to Morgan dying, although his long time assistant took over. Now these are all my opinions that I've found and have heard from other players. I'm not saying all of this is 100% correct because a lot of this is based off of personal taste. But this is what I think and i hope it helps some.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

it all sounds good to me..makes alot of sense, and leaves out the `bling` that so many seem so fond of these days.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
            (547 posts)

16 years ago

by the way, phil barone makes a lovely meyer knock off piece..if you get the chance you might try one..the price is right, and they do play so nicely..

Reply To Post

2. by ryantmn
          (5 posts)

16 years ago

Hey, I have a meyer 8M, and for all my hard rubber/ebonite pieces, I use a metal selmer ligature. I used to use a Rovner lig, but I always had a hard time getting the bottom stack to play freely, after switching to a metal lig, life has been so much easier. What type of horn you playing on? tenor or alto?

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
            (547 posts)

16 years ago

I use the Barone piece on a Conn 6M. I use an Optima lig, which I'm very happy with. I never was very happy with the Rovners...felt like they muddied up the sound. The Optima is a breeze to use

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
              (653 posts)

16 years ago

i hate rovners. they dont put pressure on the reed, just the mouthpiece. I like BG

Reply To Post