Saxophone Forum

by definition
(963 posts)
18 years ago

most obscure horn you own or have played

www.saxquest.com/forumThreadView.asp?ForumUID=6&ThreadUID=5548 this is an off shoot from another bit I thought would be fun. Post what the obscure horn you own or have played is, wether because of the number of them existence, or if you've seen very few like it, etc. I'll start, Ive played a Conn-O-Sax, and Ive played a Buffet Contra Bass. The rarest horn I own is my "Official Music Man Model" Bari, which was only made for about a year or so.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by fb.seeker
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Re: most obscure horn you own or have played

I currently own a "C" melody Sax with Name of built by Frank J. Colton or Frank Y. Colton Elk Mound, Wi on the front of horn. C 19091 LP on back of horn. The name is very ornate, couldnt decipher the Middle initial. I inherited it from an elderly gentleman in the 60's He was in his 70's then. It played great at that time, I had played clarinet in school so could play a little. I want to sell this item, but have no Idea of value. It needs minor repair on neck collar, but otherwise in beautiful condition. Pads look OK, but years of storage..... dont know Am not in a panic on this, obiviously 40 yrs to investigate. Would appreciate in advance any information you could give me. Thank you, FB. Seeker

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

FB seeker , the c mel is a conn stencil, obscurest horn i have owned was a lyrist made by AE SAX Dave

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

18 years ago

definition, was the contrabass Don Stevens's (Nuclear Whales)?

Reply To Post

1. by ps
          (35 posts)

18 years ago

Waldener tenor. No serial number. Nice engraving. Engraved eighth note in a circle with the name Waldener beside the circle.

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

No, it wasnt Don's bass. He is a great player though, saw them in concert when he did the limbo with that thing, still playing! I played a horn in a private collection FB Seeker, I bet that C mel says Frank Holton, Elkhorn Wi. In its current condition, its probably worth about 200 tops. And if you put the money into fixing it make sure you're gonna use it or you'll probably be losing money on it. There just isnt a market really for c melody horns, outside a few players here and there. Plus, being a holton, which wasnt very well known for their saxes, but their brass

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I've played a number of old Conns. The oldest horn I own is a 1908 Wonder alto; the first year for the "automatic octave key" (Before they had the double octave key). It also has the Union stamp. I restored it and it looks pretty good. It plays ok. Intonation isn't the greatest, but it's just a neat collectable. I also own a 1928 Conn Mezzo Soprano in the key of F. It's a really neat old horn too, and one of the easiest saxophones to play. I did try a Conn-O-Sax once. Unfortunately I could not convince the owner to sell it to me! I also tried a really old Couesnon sax from the late 1800's. I've also tried a Conn Connstellation alto 28M from 1951. I've tried a couple sopranino's and an old Buescher Bass. I've never tried a Contra-bass but would love to! I've played a King Saxello. I guess that's about it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

"by fb.seeker on 2/23/2006 3:34:48 PM I currently own a "C" melody Sax with Name of built by Frank J. Colton or Frank Y. Colton Elk Mound, Wi" I've been though there many times, just don't blink! =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

I had to pay a visit to my tech today, my daughter's horn was leaky from top to bottom!!! In his display case he has an old "Hohner Sax" which is--can you guess? It's shaped rather like a saxophone, but the bell on the bottom is basically fake (It's got a solid plug where it attaches to the body). It's got about 10 keys on one side, and a couple on the other side and lower. It's actually two harmonicas inside the body. I tooted on it a bit, but since I don't do harmonicas with any skill at all, I didn't prolong the agony. However, it does qualify as the most unique instrument (or toy) that I've ever played (or tried to play)!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I had a Grafton plastic sax when I was younger. My grandma found it at a garage sale for like $25, and I played with it for a while. We had no idea they were so valuable. We thought it was basically a toy. I accidently broke it and it was thrown in the garbage. It probably could have been fixed too, but we didn't think it was worth the time or the effort. I think I know the hohner sax you are referring to sax mom. I had this thing, and I don't know who made it, but it was made of plastic in the shape of a saxophone. It had a mouthpiece that instead of using a reed, it had a small hole, and there were I think 10-12 keys on the body arranged similar to a real sax. If you blow, you got one tone, if you suck in, you get another, depending on what keys you pressed. The bell was open though. It sounded like a cross between a sax and a harmonica, a little lower than a harmonica. It was basically a toy, also. I'm not really sure but it seems like it went out in the trash also, or passed on to a cousin or something. It was a pretty cool toy though,

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Sax Mom
            (964 posts)

18 years ago

Actually, the Hohner Sax I played today is metal, might be brass, but it was so tarnished I couldn't tell. Plus, being old metal, I got a HORRIBLE taste in my mouth on the intake to get the other tones!!!

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

18 years ago

it sounds similar. I'm not sure that the model I had was a Hohner, in fact, it seems like it may have been called a Music Master or something similar. It was probably a cheap knock-off. It was about the size of a curved soprano and had a detachable neck and mouthpiece. My guess is that it was made in the early 60's but I really don't know. It was another cool toy grandma found at a garage sale. Grandma loved garage sales!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I remember seeing another instrument called an ophicleide, that was keyed like a saxophone, but it had a mouthpiece like a French horn or a trumpet. The bell was straight up like a tuba. I didn't get a chance to try it, but I heard it played. It had a unique sound similar to a Flugelhorn or a mellophone. It was said that Adolphe Sax invented the first saxophone after trying a clarinet mouthpiece on an ophicleide. This particular horn was from the the 1850's I believe.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by Mr Lee
            (1 post)

18 years ago

I have a 1905 Evette & Schaeffer (Buffet-Crampon) Baritone Sax (Low B flat/high E flat with dual octave keys). Played it in high school, marching and concert , 35 years ago. I could play it for a few years afterwards but the pads and cork deteriorated too far so I put it in the garage. I decide it was time to do something with it so I've put it the shop for a complete overhaul, dent removal and delacquering. It'll be great to have the old girl back. She's a wonderful sounding sax.

Reply To Post