Saxophone Forum

by rumsurfer
(7 posts)
18 years ago

What do you guys think of Taiwan-made saxes?

There were a few saxes on display at the music shop, I asked the salesperson and she said they were made in Taiwan where decent saxes are made. She said the saxes I was looking at were not student/beginner ones. Instead, they were equivalent to the intermediate Yamahas, just a whole lot cheaper. So I went home and googled Taiwan saxes and found these articles: www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archi...7/06/2003058322 home.htjh.tcc.edu.tw/~ht310183/p2.htm Any opinions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxitup
    (49 posts)

18 years ago

Re: What do you guys think of Taiwan-made saxes?

I own a taiwan made jupiter soprano, that I bought last year. Sweet horn after replacing the original mouthpiece with a vandoran.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Cheaper is not the same as less expensive. Many techs will not even try to repair "cheap" horns because they go back out of adjustment almost immediately, and the tech is blamed for not repairing it right. You can take a gamble on the "cheaper" horn, and it is possible the gamble will pay off. Gambling is always a risk, though. Make sure they have an acceptable warranty before you buy--Money back, not trade for another of the same thing.

Reply To Post

1. by rumsurfer
      (7 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for your reply. So all the talk about the quality of Taiwan-made saxes and Bill Clinton .. the saxes don't live up to it?

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

I've honestly never heard anyone praise the quality of Taiwan-made saxes, at least not in that way. You mention Bill Clinton, doesn't he have a Winston? Those are made in USA, Europe, South America, and Asia. Of course, Asia could include Taiwan, but I wouldn't call the Winston a Taiwanese instrument. I've had good luck with my Winston soprano. I don't know where it was made, though.

Reply To Post

1. by rumsurfer
          (7 posts)

18 years ago

What about the claim that 2/3 of all saxes in the world are made in Taiwan?

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I would think that claim is very believable. When you consider that many of the Conn/Selmer horns are now made in Taiwan, Jupiter is made in Taiwan as is Cannonball, and Jupiter manufactures the student model Keilwerth horns. Antigua Winds is made in Taiwan, along with several other cheaper brands. I would say that probably at least 2/3 of the saxophones sold today are made in Taiwan. I do think that the quality of these horns has gotten considerably better in recent years. My advice though when buying any of the cheaper horns is to play the horn before you buy it, of if ordering from an online company, make sure you know the store's refund company. I have found dealers like Kessler to be very reputable and they stand behind the products that they sell. Other companies may not be. Remember, if the deal sounds so good to be true, it's probably a raw deal! Walk away!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

Clinton has an LA Sax tenor, with a limited edition American Flag finish. It was presented to him in the oval office by the an LA Sax executive. If you read his book i believe it tells you about his other horns, the SBA he had at the inagural ball when he played there, and the Selmer cigar cutter he had stolen from him prior to getting the SBA.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

'Clinton has an LA Sax tenor, with a limited edition American Flag finish. It was presented to him in the oval office by the an LA Sax executive.' Actually, he had it in his possession for about 20 minutes! Read about it: www.usd.edu/smm/clinton.html

Reply To Post

5. by rumsurfer
          (7 posts)

18 years ago

A Selmer cigar cutter....?

Reply To Post

6. by rumsurfer
          (7 posts)

18 years ago

Now that you put names to the anonymous Taiwan-made saxes, it's making a lot more sense and the claim does seem more credible. The thing about trying-before-buying is that I'm a beginner to the sax and wouldn't have much of a clue what the difference is between a bad sax and a good sax.

Reply To Post

7. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

Maybe there is someone around you that could try the horn for you to see if it is a decent player

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by mtounian
          (5 posts)

18 years ago

This is actually a problem I've tried to find a solution to. I am looking into buying a Taiwanese horn, mostly cause it's black and cheaper, and I'm paying my way through college, so a cheaper bari is my only option. But I digress... My thought was that maybe we should get some of these people we are thinking of buying a horn from to get a video of themselves playing that horn, then we can post the link here and you guys who are very experienced with saxophones could tell us who don't know whether these horns are worth anything or not. What does everyone think of that?

Reply To Post

9. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

"This is actually a problem I've tried to find a solution to. I am looking into buying a Taiwanese horn, mostly cause it's black and cheaper, and I'm paying my way through college, so a cheaper bari is my only option. But I digress... My thought was that maybe we should get some of these people we are thinking of buying a horn from to get a video of themselves playing that horn, then we can post the link here and you guys who are very experienced with saxophones could tell us who don't know whether these horns are worth anything or not. What does everyone think of that?" I think you need to work on your english!=) other than that... these problems may not happen right away, or at all, and a video or recording of the person really isn't in question. I'll be willing to bet that some of these horns sound just as good as some "good" horns. It's just that the quality is shotty, and the metal may not be as good. it's like buying a very cheap car, to a adverage one. Both will get you there, but one will be more dependable.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

10. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

oh and I was just giving you crap about English! =) (my spelling is the worst of anyone on here)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

11. by saxbob
          (13 posts)

18 years ago

I own three saxophones made in Taiwan. One is an Antigua Winds soprano (carbon copy of the Yani) which I purchased new 3 years ago. It's a great horn at a great price. It's very ergonomic and sounds good with my metal Link mpc. The alto is a Jupiter and I have no issues with it either. The tenor (my new main gig axe) is a brand new Kessler Custom along with a Kessler hard rubber pro mouthpiece. The tenor's keywork has the look and feel of a Selmer Serie III and the horn has the vintage sound of the old Bueschers and Conns. I also have a Buescher 400 tenor that the Kessler is replacing - so I can make detailed comparisons. Like the Buescher, the Kessler is a heavy instrument, has metal resonators, and is free-blowing. If you can settle for a horn that does not have the name recognition of the Big 4, yet is of high quality in every respect, has the great vintage sound, has no ergonomic issues, and costs less than 25% of the high end Selmers, then consider a Kessler Custom - made in TAIWAN. Also, the antiqued finish version (that I have) looks much better than that of the Reference 54 - in my opinion. You can buy the Kessler horn with confidence. I do NOT get a commission for saying all of this. I am just a very satisfied customer - like 99% of his customers are.

Reply To Post