Saxophone Forum

by johnsonfromwisconsin
(767 posts)
18 years ago

Jone'sing and GAS

Well, I'm in a kind of tight financian situation after just buying a house and now facing an emminent layoff. Nevertheless, one can dream can't they? This is what I find myself thinking about lately: www.pmwoodwind.com/instruments.cfm?c=1&instrumentid=456&morepics=1 www.pmwoodwind.com/instruments.cfm?c=1&instrumentid=132 www.junkdude.com/saxes/bt003084.htm www.usahorn.com/instView.usa?id=358&inst=Selmer+Reference+54+Alto+Sax+Lacquer

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Jone'sing and GAS

Ive got the buescher 400TH&C tenor, but mines in perfect silverplate, hehe

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Dreaming is about all I do, too. Wish I could afford a better horn for my daughter! Then again, she could be playing my 6m! (It looks funny, with the underslung octave key...)

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

My nephew has started band, and he is playing a 1956 Conn 6M whiich I had relacquered and repadded for him. He is the envy of every sax player in the band!Many of the other students have asked him about it; how old it is, what kind it is, and most have never seen a sax with an underslung octave key. He's only starting out and I have been showing him a few things. So far, he really enjoys it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Eww relacqured? Not good >____

Reply To Post AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

There is NOTHING wrong with relacquering a horn if it's done right. You can't even tell it's a relacquer. My tech is so good, I have had other appraisers look at horns that he has relacquered for me and they can't even tell that the horn has been relacquered! He uses a mild citric acid stripper, that removes only the old lacquer and DOES NOT HARM THE BRASS! He hand polishes the horns with a fine rubbing compound. He is maticulous about everything he does. The common misconception about relacquering is that it changes the tone of the instrument.....NOT if it's done right. The underslung octave key is mounted on the bottom side of the neck rather than the top. The reason for this on the Conn saxophones is that the key was better protected on the bottom side of the neck and less apt to break. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!