Saxophone Forum

by syrasax
(75 posts)
18 years ago

Out-of tune soprano sax

I'm consdering purchasing a used soprano sax. I have little to no experience with sopranos . . . tenor player here. When I tried it (1 year old Cannonball) the first thing I did was play the low b flat and then, without changing the fingering, played the next b flat an octave up and it was fine. But when I played the normal fingering for the b flat (3rd line b flat) it was very flat. I did the same thing with low B and C same results, in tune on the octave and "normal" fingering was flat. My question, is this something a good tech can fix?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Out-of tune soprano sax

Soprano saxes are generally more difficult for intonation. When I first received my soprano, I also found it to be difficult, but the more I play it, the more I find my lip adjusting as needed to play in tune.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

I dont think I had that bad of a problem....very thin reeds can cause that too by the way.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

18 years ago

Soprano is a touchy thing at first. Takes some getting used to. Another thing to be conscious of (in addition to the above) is how far the mouthpiece is pushed up the cork. Mine won't intonate properly unless it's pushed WAY in (I had to cut some off the mouthpiece shank to get it there...). A lesson from buying cars: get the best piece you can- if one is in tune and another isn't, that's a no brainer. Keep looking 'til you find a really good peerformer.

Reply To Post