Saxophone Forum

by Mick Emery
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Need Opinions on which sax..

I used to play a Mark VI alto many years ago & loved the horn! I'm having a synthophone built in Switzerland. Their stock horn for this is the Yamaha YAS275 alto sax. I've never seen or handled one. Since the horn produces no sound of it's own, the quality of the sound or tone doesn't matter. I'm more interested in finding an alto that "feels" like a Mark VI. (key placement etc.) Does anyone have knowledge of an inexpensive, mechanically sound, Mark Vi knock-off? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Stiles B
    (101 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Need Opinions on which sax..

I may or may not get raked over the coals for this but let me ask: Do you have a retailer in your area that deals in or Antigua winds? Both of these horns are made, if I'm not mistaken, in Asia and to the best of my knowledge, are pretty solid Selmer knock-offs. Now admitidly, they more closely resemble Super Action horns than VI's but I suspect that's because of some sort of licensing issue. I have never seen a Mark VI knock-off. Any other suggestions, my esteemed brethren?

Reply To Post

1. by Stiles B
      (101 posts)

18 years ago

By the way, I had also mentioned Cannonball horns, but later deleted it from my post. That's why it sounds like I'm talking about 2 horns and only mentioning one. I think Cannonball's are similiar but get customized in Utah and then sent to retailers

Reply To Post

2. by Mick Emery
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

I don't know if "knock off" was the correct term to use... I know that the Mark VI was a highly esteemed horn & have been told that manufacturers were using them as models for off brand horns. I don't know about the Antigua horns, but the Cannonball @ approx. $2500.00 is more than I want to spend. Do you happen to know how close key placement of the YAS275 is to the Mark VI? By the way...Thank you very much for replying.

Reply To Post

1. by Stiles B
        (101 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry for not responding sooner--there is always so much for me to look at on this site. I play on both Yamahas and Selmers and although the keys and tone holes SEEM to be close in placement, they are not an exact match. It's something I just got used to, I guess. I may be off in my memory of the 275 series, but I think that Yamaha was trying to produce a horn that was "reminiscent" of the Mark VI's. That 275 is a pretty good horn. And it's my pleasure to see if I can offer up any knowledge about saxophones or music, even if I don't know what I'm talking about. (Just kidding)

Reply To Post

3. by Radjammin
      (255 posts)

18 years ago

I got a Cannonball for 1400 used from a trade off this site. Mine is the black one, I have seen the reg. gold Laquer ones sell for 1150. That's pretty cheap and I would say the action is very good on my horn. Yes the Cannonballs sell for up to $2500, so go used. You just need it as a model for the synthophone right? It's got good weight, and the action should feel similar. Of course I know it's Tawain made and not a Mark VI but it's an above average horn in my case. Oh Cannonball after 2001, most people say they are better. early models had some soder problems.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM