Saxophone Forum

by CountSpatula
(602 posts)
18 years ago

Soprano Pad Saver question

Just wondering, I plan on buying a new sopranno and right now I have a junky school horn and the neck comes off, but some of the horns I've been looking at have attatched necks...if I buy a lavoz pad saver will it fit both? And in anyones opinion im trying to decide between a yamaha or a jupiter...anyone know which tends to be the better brand?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Soprano Pad Saver question

Throw your pad saver away and buy a silk swab. Pad savers do more harm than good! Just swab it out a couple times after playing it and store it in a dry place.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

When you need to put it up in less than a minute I can't spend 5 minutes swabing it with something else. No offense but everyone I know uses a pad saver and their horn works just fine.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

How often do they have to replace their pads because the "padsaver" keeps the moisture in the horn? It doesn't take 5 minutes to run a swab through a horn-- the extra 15 seconds is worth it in the long run.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

A swab is a lot better to use but its your sax so use what you want. Dave

Reply To Post

2. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Yamaha is better Dave

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

I've had to replace pads anyway no matter if i used the saver or not. Best would be to swab the horn out. but my opinon on the pad saver is this. If you need one, get a friend of yours (either in band or that can meet you after class) and have them beat you with the pad saver. That is about the best use for one I can come up with at the moment.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Lol ok. Ty for the yamaha comment I'm gonna look at more horns now. Teachers have told me either way pad saver or swab your still gonna have to replace a pad eventually. And for pads I have had to replaced...none. If one sticks a little, stick a dollar bill in it and close it and pull it out=works fine.

Reply To Post AIM

5. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Testing/Padsavers.htm i found that kind of helpful by the way, in my opinion I think the pad saver is better... And no one has answered me yet weather a pad saver will fit in a soprano with an attatched neck?

Reply To Post AIM

6. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

It doesn't take you anywhere near five minutes to swab a sax! That's just ridiculous! If you have only been playing for a few minutes, just run a swab through it once or twice and call it good! Shouldn't take anymore than 30 seconds at most! Are you too lazy to run a swab through your horn after you're done playing? Come on now! Be sensable! Once again, I disagree with Steve Howard; surprise surprise. I have used the cotton fiber padsavers before. Sure, they absorb moisture...and STORE IT INSIDE OF THE HORN!!! Then, you're left with a smelly MESS!!! And then the little cotton fibers start falling out and end up everywhere! Buy a silk swab and USE IT!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Well sorry, I'm not a professional at the swab. I was kind of exagerating on the 5 minute thing, I guess it does take about 30 seconds, + the mutliple times. Like I said at my high school thats really a lot of time wasted to get to class. And few minutes, I play for 2 hours at school. My horn doesnt smell...I've never found 1 fiber anywhere. And for the storing it inside the horn...the swab barly touches the pads which is the main probably anyways. But that's just my opinion, I'm gonna stop arguing about it. I just havent been answered, Will a pad saver fit into a sopranno with an attatched neck?

Reply To Post AIM

8. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

My advice is to take the things you need for the next class along to the bandroom, so you don't have to go to your locker during class break. My guess is that the padsaver would not fit into a soprano with an attached neck, unless you removed the plug and stuck it in from the bottom. You've have to cover the end with something so that it wouldn't get hung up in a tone hole or scratch the inside of the horn. Again, I recommend the swab--ditch the padsaver idea--unless you enjoy being lazy and risking your horn. I also like to store the soprano upright, so that any moisture the swab missed goes down, and out the bottom, rather than settling on the pads on one side. (I learned to do the same with my Tenor--acutally neck-side down for that one.)

Reply To Post