Saxophone Forum

by saxskillzyamaha
(52 posts)
18 years ago

Berg Larsen

I have a yamaha yts-52. I have played on my band teacher's Berg on an old Olds bari and I loved it, but would it be worth it on the yamaha? Who has a yamaha and a berg? Whos tried it?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Berg Larsen

No matter what anyone else says about it, what ever works for them might not work for you. You should probably try borrowing his berg on your yamaha. But I really don't think there will be a whole lot of a difference. Also I wouldn't get a berg if its not vintage, the newer ones arn't exactly as good as they use to be...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

What kind of a sound are you looking for? The new Bergs are not nearly as good as theVintage Bergs, but vintage cost much more. One of the best sounding mouthpieces I have heard on a Yamaha was an Otto Link New York metal. They're a little cheaper than the Berg also.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxskillzyamaha
        (52 posts)

18 years ago

Wow! Coincidentally, i just got a New York, but its not the sound i was expecting. i get a dexter gordon sound, but i was expecting a very bright sound. Is it just a bad mouthpiece of the batch, or i that what I should be getting?

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Hm...I don't think all berg larsens are bright. If you want a brighter sound, dukoffs are good, branchers are a little better quality and easier to control. I believe the best tenor mouthpiece (but lots of money) is the Guardala mouthpieces? They're very loud and bright from what I've read. Yanagisawa metals are great too.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Otto Link NY

Odd that you were expecting the NY to be brighter - everything I've read calls it darker (than the regular Otto Link metal). I've got a Vandoren Jumbo Java and I find it *very* bright, so I suspect that dark is a good thing for a metal piece (relatively speaking). If it's a 6* maybe I could help you unload it. ;-) That's definitely the next one I want to try with my YTS-82Z...

Reply To Post

3. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Heres an idea, I tried it and I like it. www.saxforte.com/accessories/play/mouthpieces/mouthpiece_help/mouthpiece_help.html Just go there, and scroll down and theres a form you can e-mail him. I ask him questions all the time and hes very experienced and helpful. Just fill out the thing and email him ([email protected]) and he has some mouthpieces he can recommend you.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the link -- I'll definitely check that out!

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The Otto Link New York is one of the darker metal mouthpieces. Yamaha saxophones tend to be a little on the bright side. Metal mouthpieces often sacrifice low end for improved projection of mids and highs. The New York with it's larger chamber has a broader field of projection and a more centered sound which is ideal for a bright horn like the Yamaha. If you're looking for a brighter sound, try a Beechler Bellite or a Phil Barone contemporary metal or fusion metal.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

my link never let me down on the low end, but I wouldn't call it bright by any means! It's a nice smooth velvet sound (to quote another thread). however, yes, bright pieces will take away from the low end of things, and I'm not sure if I personally like that.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM