Saxophone Forum

by Sax Mom
(964 posts)
18 years ago

Mouthpiece Specification chart

Is there any kind of chart that lists the different specifications of the different mouthpieces, including inside diameter of the shank? I have an old Runyon mouthpiece that works great on my Conn 6m, but it has a slight crack and I need to replace it. Other mouthpieces tend to slide onto the neck too far, so I need something smaller than the typical alto mouthpiece.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece Specification chart

where is the crack?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

Most mpc manufacturers are about the same in bore size except selmers that seem a fraction smaller and welklang + keilwerth seem a fraction larger. If the new mpc is too loose you may need to re-cork or too small just sand the cork. Your old mpc may be salvagable especially if the crack is in the shamk by shrinking a ring over it etc Dave

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

For me, the Selmer's shank diameter seems a comparable match to others. I have a Runyon 88, a Berg Larsen (London), and a Vandoren Optimum that all match up well. Likewise, I've tried a Ponzol and a few other modern pieces that all seemed a close match for the Selmers' fit. The only differences amongst pieces I've seen were from an old Buescher and Brilhart. The Brilhart was reasonably close to the others, but the Buescher was significantly smaller. There is no rule that defines shank size, but I imaging that a lot of modern pieces (not all) conform to the Selmer shank size on purpose.

Reply To Post