Saxophone Forum

by djazzy
(65 posts)
18 years ago

Tenor Neck

What importance is the neck in relation to the saxophone sound?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Tenor Neck

Yes, the neck does effect the sound. Saxophone companies have tried many different designs, and metals over the years. There are several aftermarket necks available made of silver and copper. I believe they claim silver to be brighter and copper darker. The octave tube not only effects the sound, but also the intonation. Check out the Gloger Handcraft necks available through www.musicmedic.com. They are quite pricey, but very good necks. They even have them to fit your 10M!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by djazzy
      (65 posts)

18 years ago

Will the Gloger necks sound better than the stock neck I have now? Wont it look ackward to have a Gloger neck on a Conn saxophone?

Reply To Post

1. by djazzy
        (65 posts)

18 years ago

Whoa. The Gloger necks are too expensive for me. Any other suggestions?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

I cant help you on other necks fer a 10M, short of finding another one and taking that neck, but as for it looking strange, if you send me an email, I'll send you a pic of my father's 30M cann Tenor. Gold Wash bell, silverplate body, copper gloger neck, wooden lebayle mouthpiece, a bare brass FL lig(he stripped a silver one) and a clear bari plastic reed. Now THATS a strange lookin horn, lol

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

it would haev been a fun school project to try and make a neck, but I don't know enough about them to get it totally right. Yes, I could get it looking like a tenor neck, but i doubt it would have sounded good. plus it would take me way too long to do it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

To improve the sound that you create do you modify the neck?

Reply To Post

4. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

Not to get too off topic but I have heard that the "problem" with the old Mark VII's were the necks. What I had heard was that, although the rest of the horn was very similar to the Mark VI, the neck was a different length and that made the intonation bad. I also know folks who absolutely rave about their VII's. Any validity to these claims? Just curious, Stiles

Reply To Post

5. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

To improve the sound that you create do you modify the neck?

Reply To Post

6. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

modifying or switching the neck is one option, yes, htere are easier and less expensive ways to do this also

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

The best way to improve your sound at this stage in your development is to practice playing the horn. The sound is gonna come from YOU. Don't get caught up in afrenzy of G.A.S. Get the 10M set up so it plays well, get a good playing mouthpiece, and proceed to learn to play the horn! (last I checked, Prez didn't need a new neck to sound good)

Reply To Post

8. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

What is your opinion is a good jazz mouthpiece?

Reply To Post

9. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

A Link STM is a good place to start. Doesn't have to be a vintage one- a good modern one will do fine (and save you a lot of dough). Somewhere in the neighborhood of a 6-7* tip. A very flexible piece that will build good chops. Should work well with the 10M. Try a few as quality of the facing may vary. Mouthpieces are a hard thing to agree on as everybody has their opinion and their favorite, but a Link will build a solid foundation.

Reply To Post

10. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

How would I know if I get the wrong facing (a facing to open or of poor quality)?

Reply To Post

11. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

Check out a few and see which one you like best. Take along some reeds of varying strength (the wider the tip, the softer you can go on reed strength). I find a Rico 2 1/2 (gasp!) works pretty well on a 7*, to give you a point of reference. Too open or close will be up to your preference. A poor quality facing will be evident by comparison to another piece of the same opening. If one squeaks or is more difficult to blow or control, pass it up. Pick the one that feels best to you.

Reply To Post

12. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

How will I know if a mouthpieces tip opening is to wide? Is that evident in play testing ?

Reply To Post

13. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

very evident in the play testing. order a few, or go where you can try some, and try them out!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

14. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

But if I decide to play a mouthpiece how will I know if the facing is to open?

Reply To Post

15. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Djazzy, my guess is that the mouthpiece you are using is comparable to the Selmer C* in terms of tip opening. This is not very open; only about 0.065 (65 thousandths of an inch). For jazz, you're going to want a mouthpiece with a more open tip; about 0.090 or more. An Otto Link 5* is going to have an opening of about 0.090. The 6* is around 0.095, and the 7* is around 0.100. These are just approximations. I haven't been able to find many specs, and the opening sizes do vary between manufacturers. I would suggest that you start with a 5* Otto Link Super Tone Master AFTER you have your 10M checked out and set up by a technition. Take care of any problems with your horn before investing in a mouthpiece. The Otto Link Super Tone Master is a great first metal mouthpiece. They are an open, free-blowing mouthpiece and they play easy. They are a pretty straight forward design; no spoilers or baffels to create other problems. They have a bold sound, power and projection, but they're not too bright or too shrill. On a Conn 10M, they sound really sweet! Try the 5* first. Especially if you are used to a C* with a smaller tip opening. The 5* with a # 2 1/2 reed should play fairly easy. Get a feel for it and then you decide if you want to move up to something that's a little more open.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

16. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

To answer your question; if the mouthpiece is too open for your level of playing, it will be difficult to play. You'll notice that it requires more air pressure and tighter embrochure control. It might squeak, of if you play on it for any length of time, your lips will turn to jello! You'll know what I mean!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

17. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

I should be getting my horn fixed soon. I've never played a metal mouthpiece before. But I should be able to play a more open metal mouthpiece with a soft reed right?

Reply To Post

18. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for all your help (despite how long it took me to understand), I really apreaciate it. I hope you continue to help others in the forum. -Djazzy

Reply To Post

19. by RoYrOy
          (51 posts)

18 years ago

Hey pardon my ignorance but is a "Selmer *C" the same as a Selmer Soloist Short Shank C Mouthpiece?

Reply To Post

20. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

18 years ago

There are short shank soloist pieces that are C* facings. But the designation C* is not unique to short shank pieces or even soloists. "Short shank" has to do with the design of the mouthpiece - the C* only to it's facing/tip opening. A "C" opening will be slightly less than a C* - primarily for classical music. I'm sure that SaxQuest has short shank pieces listed for sale if you wanted to see pictures of one. If not, look up mouthpiece heaven on the internet for pictures and even some history.

Reply To Post

21. by Augman
          (29 posts)

18 years ago

I put a ref 56 neck on my series 2 selmer tenor and It made the horn have a nicer tone , more resonsive and easier to play in tune. It also improved the angle and looks cooler.

Reply To Post