Saxophone Forum

by CountSpatula
(602 posts)
18 years ago

Brilhart Tonalin

Anyone know a reliable website that sells vintage mouthpieces? I'm trying to find a tonalin but I can't find many out there, and when I do I can't find a tip opening for me that I'm use to. Any help? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Brilhart Tonalin

Just keep watching ebay. I see them for sale from time to time. I've collected a couple of them and they have a nice smooth sound that's nice for big band/orchestra music; ie. Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington, etc. Brilhart made a great mouthpiece until Selmer bought them out and bastardized them just like they have everything else! The new Brilhart Ebolin mouthpieces SUCK!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

www.junkdude.com , dave usually has a few in his shop. sarge at www.worldwidesax.com usually has a few too. www.mouthpieceheaven.com often has them and other great vintage pieces

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

"bastardized" i like that word.... Ty for answering my question i never asked about the ebolin. I know they still make them and they're like 30 dollars...didn't know if they were any good even though parker used them. I thought it's funny though, wwbw started a thing where you buy a pack of a horn, mpc, etc to suit yourself for jazz, and one i saw for bebop like parker sound was "Ref 54 hummingbird, brilhart ebolin, etc." ...weird And jim, correct me if im wrong but dont you play tenor? if not, for alto are they very loud mouthpieces? I'm using a beechler diamond inlay which completely blows away meyer, selmer, runyon, etc. in loudness. I have looked at junkdude.com and the one mouthpiece they had had a crack in the shank....which sounds like bad news to me...eww. Thanks for the help, any more is greatly appreciated :)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Ew i just noticed one bad problem I was at the mouthpieceheaven website and they had several tonalins but they were different sizes, and it hit me.... What are the tip openings??!??!?!? haha. that would be very important... Also when i click "Add" it gives me a message similar to "Table 'dbmouthp1.mpc_sitelog' doesn't exist"...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I play everything. Probably more tenor than anything, but I also play alto, soprano and baritone. I play clarinet too. I'm not exactly sure on the specs on the Tonalins, but I believe the most common tip openings were a #3, which is fairly closed like a Selmer C* - a #5 which was probably what Charlie Parker used.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Thats awsome, I play alto, i just started a bit of tenor for an ensemble, and i play soprano. Maybe somehow theres a chart out there... Right now C*s are about .067...ive been using .085 with a 2.5 java...eah maybe someone knows here :)

Reply To Post AIM

2. by p-land sax
        (32 posts)

18 years ago

I was wondering if anybody knew what C.S.B means, it is engraved in black lettering on the opposite side of the serial number on my alto tonalin.

Reply To Post