Saxophone Forum

by littlegarrett
(11 posts)
18 years ago

Opinions on a Good HARD RUBBER Tenor MPC

I am searching for my sound on Tenor... I am open to suggestions for a good HARD RUBBER mpc. I prefer a warmer sound, but also want to be able to project. My downfall with metal mouthpieces so far, is that they have just been to bright for me... If you have any suggestions for a metal mpc that you think would work for me please post it also. (I currently play a Selmer Mark VII Tenor)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Opinions on a Good HARD RUBBER Tenor MPC

Hm...I thought that the metal v16s are metal but warm sounding with lots of projection... Meyers seem to be popular for that type of stuff. I would look into Otto link, meyer, or the v16. Correct me if im wrong someone but I think the popular ones Otto link=Otto Link Metal Super Tone Master? Meyer=5M?

Reply To Post AIM

1. by djazzy
      (65 posts)

18 years ago

I'm going to try the Otto Link and Meyer this next weekend I'll tell you how they sound. I play a vintage horn: Conn 10M tenor sax, and a Masteller mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Well I believe I've heard someone on here say Conn 10Ms work excellent with Meyers 5M i believe...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by marcusb
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Garret my advice would be an otto link hard rubber say 7 or ort 7 x greetings marcus

Reply To Post

3. by The Insomniac Saxman
      (141 posts)

18 years ago

Try a Morgan Excalibur (round chamber, slight roll-over baffle). They project pretty well, but still maintain a level of warmth. You can play a variety of styles on it, and it takes the air really well. Jody Jazz has a hard rubber mouthpiece out now (I believe it's the HR model) which is a pretty traditional cut--recently picked one up as a backup for my vintage Dukoff. Works very well.

Reply To Post

4. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

18 years ago

vintage selmer soloists and brilhart personolines are very good.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Except that vintage ones of those are like $200 and meyers are about $80 right?

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The Otto Link Tone Edge is a great mouthpiece for alto or tenor. Vintage Brilharts are great mouthpieces, but be careful. They tend to chip really easy with age (they are actually plastic, not hard rubber), so make sure it's in good condition before buying. The Meyer Ebonite mouthpieces are very good. I especially like the Meyer G Series, which has a larger chamber for a great vintage sound. Now, if anyone here suggests a Selmer S-80 C* for a tenor mouthpiece, I will drive to your house and write SELMER SUCKS on all of your windows with orange crayon!!! Don't tempt me!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by littlegarrett
            (11 posts)

18 years ago

I have tried Meyer hard rubber mpcs on Tenor, but not yet Otto Link Tone Edge (which is their hard rubber mpcs if I'm correct). Whats their projection like? what about the newer ebolin's 4 tenor?

Reply To Post AIM

2. by blackfrancis
            (396 posts)

18 years ago

The Tone Edge has relatively poor projection, but a nice sound. I use one for quiet gigs. I fear that if you use a new Brillhart, Jim and his crayon will come for you in the wee hours (made by Selmer). (that is to say, they're not what they used to be) What sound are you looking for? If you can describe what's in your head maybe we can narrow it down a bit.

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

" Now, if anyone here suggests a Selmer S-80 C* for a tenor mouthpiece, I will drive to your house and write SELMER SUCKS on all of your windows with orange crayon!!! Don't tempt me!!!" Hehe whats with the orange crayon? Don't selmer mouthpiece especially suck on conns though? Some rumor i heard...

Reply To Post AIM

3. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

Add Morgan, Hite, Jody Jazz and Runyon to your list. I found the Link h.r. and Selmer to be very stuffy on tenor. I had an old Meyer and a Gale that were both good pieces. I have to make the point to all of you searching for your "sound" out there- the material that a mouthpiece is made of doesn't matter so much- it's the design!!! Try a Link STM or New York- both fairly dark and very flexible. BTW Jim, let me know when you're going out with the crayon- I'll bring my bagpipes!

Reply To Post

4. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Im never gonna speak of a selmer C* again i cant stand bagpipes!!! *Melts* Are hites really that good?

Reply To Post AIM

5. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

I heard metal is harder to play compared to hard rubber and plastic. How does the Link Tone Edge sound? Is it an all around good mouthpiece?

Reply To Post

6. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

P.S. Add Masteller to the list! Check Em' Out: www.mastellermusic.com

Reply To Post

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I prefer a metal mouthpiece on tenor. I really like the Otto Link Tone Edge on alto. It's not too bright, but it has a rich, open sound with a little more bite than most hard rubber mouthpieces. The Meyer G Series is a good alternative to the vintage Brilhart mouthpieces of the past. They are great for big band, concert or symphonic band. That is somewhat true about metal mouthpieces being harder to play. There are a couple reasons why. For one thing, most are considerably more open at the tip, so you want to use a softer reed with them. They have a different feel than plastic or hard rubber. They are narrower, and require tighter embrochure control. Don't be afraid to try one though. It shouldn't take you more than a couple days to adjust to a metal mouthpiece. Once you get used to it and hear the lush tone that you get from a metal mouthpiece, you won't want to use anything else! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

I agree with Jim. Hard rubber on Alto and Metal on Tenor. Always check out the background of the person giving advice by looking in the Community Profile. If it's all filled in you can see if it's a pro player giving advice or just another hairy high schooler.........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

9. by littlegarrett
          (11 posts)

18 years ago

Thanx kesley... I never thought on whether or not to check and see exactly who's giving the advice... but I know it is a smart idea

Reply To Post AIM

10. by Dark Eyes
          (138 posts)

18 years ago

Hairy?!?!? Hehehe Hehehehehehe Hehehehehehehehehe Hehehehehehehehehehehe Pretty Accurate I'd say! ;-}

Reply To Post

11. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

Some folks really dig the Hite (not the student model- the more expensive one). But mainly, I forgot to add Vandoren. A good assortment of styles and generally really good facings.

Reply To Post

12. by littlegarrett
          (11 posts)

18 years ago

I am testing my instructor's J.D. Hite and I like it very much... it produces much more volume than I ever imagined and is good for section work... maybe not solo's tho

Reply To Post AIM

13. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

OK, I knew I might be the only one that would offer up this one. I prefer, for myself, a hard rubber (or is it ebonite?) Berg Larsen on my VI. I can get a nice Breckerish tone, if I like, or a decent old-school big band, swing sound. Before you nay say, I swear I'm not fibbing. I believe it's a 100/0 and it is vintage. The metal ones I tried had a tone that could cut diamonds. But that's just me.

Reply To Post

14. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I know exactly what you mean, Stiles. Many of the metal pieces today are very shrill like that. I like the Otto Link Super Tone Master because it has the projection and sustain of a metal piece, but it has a nice, warm tone that's bold and bright, but not "nails on a chalkboard" sharp enough to cut diamonds bright. The Meyer Ebonite mouthpieces are great. I use one on soprano.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

15. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

I have a sweet old King MO that I use on soprano that I found in an old used mpce box at an instrument store I used to work at. I don't know much (if anything) about King hard rubber mpces, but it looks kind of like a little Meyer. I probably like it because I like my Meyer alto mpce. I've just never had a tone I like with metal mpces and I used to have a Florida Link 6* for my alto that I ended up selling to my old sax teacher.

Reply To Post

16. by KingNecron
          (76 posts)

18 years ago

I play on a Peter Ponzol Custom, which is a pretty good contemporary hard rubber piece. I used to play on an old Otto Link metal mouthpiece that I loved, but I go back and play it now and I can hardly stand to listen to myself, although if I spent enough time with both pieces I could probably get good sounds out of both. I'm sure you've gotten much better responses, but I would check out the Ponzol Custom, especially if you're looking to play a lot of jazz.

Reply To Post AIM

17. by bigred
          (43 posts)

18 years ago

my teacher recently lended me an early florida link 10* and wow thats thing is amazing. it gives you a big robust sound and really cuts. but it also can give you a nice warm sound to. but if you want to pay 400-600$ by all means. I play a metal link super tone master ny model. thats a great piece for a good price. my teach is opening it up for me from 7* to about a 9*. i think metal is the way to go on tenor.

Reply To Post