Saxophone Forum

by MarkLavelle
(300 posts)
18 years ago

'Average' opening for tenor mouthpieces?

I'd like to hear from you experienced players (10+ yrs) what tenor mouthpiece tip opening you prefer for non-classical music (*is* there any classical tenor?). I guess reed preference would be important, too. Anything you'd care to say about why you prefer it could be helpful (tone? projection? note bending?). I'm also interested to know how long you were playing before you settled on your preference...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Re: 'Average' opening for tenor mouthpieces?

For tenor, I like a tip opening of about .095 - .105 You really need a tip opening of at least .095 to really make a tenor come alive with good projection and sound. Anything above .105 and the mouthpiece is going to be difficult to control. I would try a few different pieces and see which works best. I'd start out with something around .095 and work up from there.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

(*is* there any classical tenor?). Well, yeah, of course there is. silly.

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

18 years ago

I agree that range is a good comfort zone for most in a low baffle mouthpiece like a Link. Higher baffles and smaller chambers play a little easier in the same tip opening, so trials are really necessary to find out what works for you. I've gone larger with some pieces, but find myself going back to that tip range. Hemke or Plasticover 2 1/2 is a good starting point for a reed in that tip. I've been playing for 25+ years and my tastes have changed over time. So while I've settled into a couple favorite pieces, there's nothing to say I won't have new favorites in a couple years. FWIW, my current faves on tenor are a vintage brass Dukoff D7 and a Couf 10*S. Both pieces in the .090" - .100" range.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

18 years ago

Selmer Airflow or Couf Artist 6*R for classical tenor.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

I also prefer them to be in the .095 to .110 range for comfort on tenor, it just works well. I have a paint peeling berg though that measures .135 when I need to do something crazy, and have played a tenor mpc in a .170, its simply to much work to play like that! On bari I usually play in the .105 to .120 range, and alto I use larger tips than most anyone I know, in the .090 to .098 range, little strange but thats what works for me As for classical tenor: yes there is, you just dont usually have very much of it, sorry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

.105 to .120 depending on whether it's a high baffle piece or not. (120 for the high baffle as they blow easier) There is no "average opening". Everybody has their own comfort zone and sound parameters.

Reply To Post

2. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

18 years ago

related questions...

Thanks to all -- keep those cards and letters coming! I have a couple of related questions, if you can stand 'em: 1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of various facing lengths? A lot of m'piece makers don't give you a choice, but some do. I don't see any easy way to cross-reference between them, but I assume that if they call a particular facing 'medium' it probably is... 2. For any given opening+facing, how much of a difference (in terms of getting used to playing) is there between hard rubber and metal pieces? I have the impression that the metal ones are usually narrower, and a relatively open metal piece needs a stronger embouchure, but I haven't read anything indicating how much stronger... I want to hear as many opinions on all this as possible, but it might help to let you know where I'm heading. I really like my Vandoren Java T45 (.0925'' opening, 'medium' facing) for overall playability and am pretty happy with the tone, but I recognize that there are advantages to something more open. I also have a Jumbo Java T55 (.0985, 'long' facing) that I can usually handle, but it's definitely too bright for my taste. So I'm thinking about a metal V16 (because they have a reputation for consistency and quality, and being relatively dark for metal pieces), but I can't decide between the T45 and T55 (or *maybe* a T75, with a 'medium long' facing and .1043'' opening). I'm also thinking of getting a RicoRoyal Graftonite A7, just to see if I can handle a .105'' opening... Finally, I guess I should say that I'm mostly talking about jazz and rock'n'roll. To play any classical/legit I already have pieces that work well for me. Thanks in advance, Mark P.S.: I was kidding about classical tenor...

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

no opinions?

Did I burn you all out on this, or does it just need a bump?

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

18 years ago

Re: no opinions?

Longer facings usually give a fuller low end - speaks easier when you go into the bow/bell keys. Shorter facings a quicker response and improved altissimo. And if you can find someone who knows how to set up a piece really well (wink wink), you can get a lot of both from the same piece. As far as what difference material makes, your Jumbo Java is bright and made of hard rubber. There are also darker pieces like STM NYs that are made of metal. So it's more about the design and how a piece is finished than what it's made of.

Reply To Post