Saxophone Forum

by djazzy
(65 posts)
18 years ago

Tenor Sax Check-up

I recently had my tenor sax looked at by the repair techs at Paige's. They told me they didn't want to repair it and it was only good for casual playing. Can this be true? I'm was hoping to see Nick Brightman and get a second opinion. First I wanted to get yours. Can my Conn tenor sax be in such a bad condition? When I purchased it a year ago it was in great condition for $300. It was playable and sounded OK with the Masteller that came with it. I haven't had ant repairs on it since. What should I do next?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Tenor Sax Check-up

Try another shop?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

def try another shop. A 10M is a great horn regardless of how it looks, it'll be a great player setup right

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

18 years ago

Sounds like you talked to the tea boy!! Find a better shop or tech or go back in and ask for a different tech to talk to as the first guy know's nowt about vintage horns Dave

Reply To Post

1. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I hopefully see Nick Brightman soon. Does anyone know of his credibility as a vintage repair tech?

Reply To Post

2. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I hopefully see Nick Brightman soon. Does anyone know of his credibility as a vintage repair tech?

Reply To Post

3. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

Well I've come back from Brightman's Woodwind Repair. Mr. Brightman told me the repairs needed would cost more than I paid for my horn orginally. He told me I should look at the Yahama YTS-23 as a replacement. This is the only conformation I needed, and now I'll look at used Yahamas. Does anyone know any mouthpieces that match well with it?

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

It sounds like your old 10M needs some work, but it's well worth putting money into, and it's a far better horn than any Yamaha YTS-23, but you don't seem to want to believe that! I'm sure someone here would be more than happy to give you $300 for it! I will, even if I have to put another $600 into it! Kid, you don't know what a great horn you have, but if you really want a new student model Yamaha, I have no doubt that there are many people here willing to trade!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

The only issue is the my Conn '52 has many leaks, extensive body damage and has been resoldered twice. This would need more than $200 in repairs to be put back in shape. I don't have $200 and I won't it anytime soon. So now I'm looking for a Yahama YTS-23 with a rental program. I looked at Paigesmusic.com and their encore program allows $52 rentals for 36 months. I could rent a used Yahama for a low monthly price and get it repaired once its mine.

Reply To Post

6. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Put the conn in the closet for a few years then get it repaired Dave

Reply To Post

7. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

What should I do until then?

Reply To Post

8. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

So many questions have been answered about this conn and its still in the same condition and you seem hppy with a rental yamaha the closet seems the best place as you may get the money ,eventually, to get it playable. In a few years you may realise is worth and get it done also it will have gained in value and it may cease the repeat questions!! Dave

Reply To Post

9. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

"What should I do until then?" 1) call a freind (or someone) who has a camera, then take some pics of your current horn. 2) email me first to warn me that you're going to email pics, then email me the pics and I'll put them online. 3) let us see the damage so we know what you're up against. 4) if it can't be fixed (or if it's too much for now) start looking for a used horn... I said used for a reason. 5) end. I say used because you may be better off spending $600 to get your current horn fixed than $1500-2000 on something new (I was just guessing). See my point? You may be better off saving and fixing than picking away at $60 a month for years. just my opinon anyway

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

10. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

$1872 To be precise plus any deposit Dave

Reply To Post

11. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

"$1872 To be precise plus any deposit" wow... that's very close to the net value in my checking account. weird.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

12. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

let me get ths straight, (and see my other post as well). you don't have $200-300 now, but you have what pretty much comes up to $2000 over 3 years? why not save that $52 a month for about 5 months then fix your conn...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

13. by djazzy
          (65 posts)

18 years ago

I don't have $52 a month and I'd only be able to get my sax fixed if I had the money. My mom thinks my sax is a junker and she would like to trash it for a newer, shiner Yahama YTS-23. PS: I post pics soon..

Reply To Post