Saxophone Forum

by simpleman
(10 posts)
18 years ago

Tip Opening

I want to get a Jazz mouthpiece for Tenor. On Alto I currently play on a Meyer 5M (medium facing) with a V16 3 reed. I think I want an Otto Link hard rubber piece, but I was wondering what opening I should get. Does anyone know what opening would be comprable to the playability of my Alto?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Tip Opening

I'd try a 6* I believe, not positive.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

meyer 5 is 71 thou opening so in tenor for a link it would be a size 4. You had better go in a shop and try a few sizes out Dave

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

Err if you use a size 2.5 reed on a otto link 4 for TENOR that wont work. In equivilent sizes a 71 on alto is about a 93 or 94 on tenor. (being the size 6 or 6* i said)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I would recommend a metal piece over hard rubber for tenor; better resonation and projection. Try an Otto Link Super Tone Master or a New York in a # 6 facing. For jazz, you're going to want at least a 5*. If you're an alto player, you shouldn't have much trouble adjusting to a metal mouthpiece. Give one a try!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by simpleman
          (10 posts)

18 years ago

I played on a metal piece in High School and I really liked it, but my prof. reccomended a hard rubber piece because they are more consistant (and cheaper!).

Reply To Post AIM

3. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

What do you mean by consistant? If you mean on how well the mouthpieces are made...that all depends on the company that makes them... If you find a mouthpiece that works for you and really like it I wouldn't change just because someone told you to...

Reply To Post AIM