Saxophone Forum

by littlegarrett
(11 posts)
18 years ago

wooden mouthpieces?

I don't have access to try one, but have always wondered, "what exactly do they sound like". So rather then spending a couple'a hundred bucks to purcahse one, I want ask you all what you know about Wooden Sax Mouthpieces. sound? projection? type?----LeBayle? Pomarico? Lamberson? Francois Louis custom? GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK :-)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by littlegarrett
    (11 posts)

18 years ago

Re: wooden mouthpieces?

P.S. I already know that the Fracois Louis Custom is pretty much "Custom only to Joe Lovano" :-)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

18 years ago

All Lambersons kick butt! Watck out for wood, though, as it's not the most stable material. Subject to change shape... Still, I have a friend with a Lebayle alto piece that really sings.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

18 years ago

it'd be fun to make a metal table, then use wood for the rest. Then you coudl be assured the table/rails would be the same, but the wood would do what wood does in a mpc... just a thought.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Mactenor
          (102 posts)

18 years ago

I have a Lebayle wood Jazz model that I use with a Lebayle wood ligature. It produces a good sound, a little on the bright side I like the way it plays on my King Super 20 Silversonic Tenor, a good match for this horn. Best Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post

2. by marcusb
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

hi mac wanted to know u tried other mouthpieces that worked really good on a king super 20 silversonic greetings marcus

Reply To Post

3. by Mactenor
          (102 posts)

18 years ago

Most quality mouthpieces seem to work well on the Silversonic, mine plays a little on the bright side, ( probably due to all the silver on the horn) so I stay away from small chamber, high baffle pieces. I just received a Jody Jazz DV NY 8 and it sounds fantastic on the King, a real killer sound. It also sounds great on my Conn 10M. Best Regards Mactenor

Reply To Post

4. by marcusb
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Mac tx for your reply . what kind of sound that jody jazz mpc produce on a king ? i play now an otto link metal nr 7 on my silversonic and love it but am still looking for a bigger darker sound ,but must say love the otto link ..is the jody jazz a lot different from otto link ? Best regards MarcusB

Reply To Post

5. by landrusax
          (44 posts)

18 years ago

I have a couple wood Lamberson pieces that are beautiful. The one I have for baritone sounds like a mix between my metal florida link and my vintage rubber berg. They have a beautiful and rich tone, the only down side is that once they get warmed up you have to re-adjust the reed on the table because of warping. I have played on Lebayles also, but the Lambersons seem much more consistent to me.

Reply To Post

6. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

I forgot to harp on one of my pet peeves.... It's more the design than the material. ( still, there's something about wood...)

Reply To Post

7. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

Wood scares the bejeezus out of me. When I was apprenticing as a repair tech, I was given a symphony cat's wood clarinet mpce to re-cork and as I was sanding it to fit, I turned it on the jig instead of taking it off, rotating it, then putting it back on the jig. You guessed it. CRACK. Broken mouthpiece. I got to buy him a new one. No, I did not learn my lesson as I did the same thing with a crystal mpce. As a service to music, I stopped repairing instruments. (I was a pretty good repairman, though)

Reply To Post

8. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

Ouch! Personally, I'd worry enough about cracking a wooden piece just by normal(-ish) handling... [by the way: great bio in your profile!]

Reply To Post

9. by littlegarrett
          (11 posts)

18 years ago

Thanx.. I appreciate it bro

Reply To Post AIM

10. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

18 years ago

I owned one of these mine was a sugal ( a good piece actually )strangely I played classical with it they sound very very centered and very dry with some sweetness with lots of bounce like a clarinet but unfortunately it chirped ,,when I called Sugal himself and discussed it with him he told me it was the reed I was using ( Vandoren or Omegas ) his piece was apparently made for Rico Royals I never belived this and shipped it back to him !

Reply To Post

11. by Bollen
          (39 posts)

18 years ago

I've been playing wooden mouthpieces for years and I find it difficult to play anything else at this point. If I may add anything is that wood allows more control than other materials. A huge dynamic control and also very versatile in timber. You can pretty much make them sound like either metal or rubber. The one I've been using for the past 3 years has an old otto link type chamber, but if you push it can be very bright or held back very dark. The important thing is what type of wood is being used. I personally prefer the German Zinner. Is a good solid Granadilla that's been treated with special oils so it does not move nor warp. Although on a special note, when acquiring a new one, you should only play it for a bit during the first few weeks and give it a good linen oil bath after you've cleaned it. After a month or two you'll have a piece as solid as metal.

Reply To Post