Saxophone Forum

by Kyle
(1 post)
18 years ago

Need help making mouthpiece decision!

hey saxquest people. I just bought a new Alto, and I'm about to sell my old one. I have three mouthpieces to sell with it. I have nothing bad to say about the metal Otto-Link I have, and I'd like to keep that for Jazz. So the other mouthpiece I keep needs to have a darker sound for those classical times, just so I can cover all the bases. the moutpieces I have are a Cannonball 5*, and a J+D Hite 4-5*. I'm keeping one and selling the other. Does anyone know anything about these mouthpieces? Which one would you keep for a darker classical sound? Just to specify the topic, I can't buy a new mouthpiece. I just bought the Alto, so I don't have the budget. if both of those mouthpieces suck, please tell me which one... sucks less. haha. Thank You! Kyle

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Need help making mouthpiece decision!

Why not just play them both in front of a wall (for the sound reflection) and decide for yourself which you like better for classical?

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

18 years ago

this is a good place for my off topic mouthpiece rant... so I thought my alto was stuffy and didn't like new mouthpieces... this was before I found out my reeds were too strong and before I took a file to one. now it plays like a dream! =) but as far as mouthpices, I'd keep them around. Never know what you will need one!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

I hear ya there, I remember my freshman year my jazz band teacher bought the sax's jazz mouthpieces and I always used a C* selmer and a year later i found out a size reed lower makes it work wonders :)

Reply To Post AIM

2. by GregLauer
      (37 posts)

18 years ago

cannonball and JD hite are both terrible mouthpieces in my opinion. Cheap knockoffs. Do yourself the favor and the favor of all other students throw away those two mouthpieces and just buy selmer C* its the legit standard and works wonders for all students. greg

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

C* might be the accepted standard for Selmer, but they don't work equally well on all horns. I suggest trying before buying.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

A Selmer Soloist C* would be a good legit piece (it's a pretty much universal thing and gets the sound). A J&D Hite Artist is also pretty good. Maybe a perusal of the legit saxophone forum would yield some more alternatives. I personally use a Rico Graftonite A7 for that kind of stuff. As Sax Mom sez, try before buying.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Why not buy a Rico Royal Graftonite mouthpiece for less than $20 to include with the alto you plan to sell, and keep both the Hite and Cannonball pieces? I wouldn't buy a C*. The Hite Artist is a much better piece. I'm not too familiar with the Cannonball.

Reply To Post Yahoo!