Saxophone Forum

by sanborn
(3 posts)
18 years ago

David Sanborn - Dukoff D6 or D7???

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, I know that David Sanborn used a Dukoff D8 in the 80s, but on his new albums he plays an older one with a smaller tip opening. So who can tell me whether he plays a D6 or a D7 right now? Where did you get the information from?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: David Sanborn - Dukoff D6 or D7???

Err neither...he plays on a modified dukoff made by Bobby Dukoff himself that has been changed over the past years but by todays standards its a measurement of a D8. Hes always played on the same dukoff. And sanborn has his own website. He had an old one with interviews (Audio) on it but they made a new website and forgot to add them or something. His specific setup is a Selmer Mark VI Alto (worth $6000), Dukoff D8 with either 2.5 or 3 Java reeds. If you plan on buying a dukoff, GOOD LUCK. I highly recommend having a person that does refacing look at it. Keith Bradbury is very experienced with Dukoffs, but it will probably cost in the $100s...you can email him at his website www.mojomouthpiecework.com

Reply To Post AIM

1. by sanborn
      (3 posts)

18 years ago

I know the old website and I know the interviews which were on it. In the interview about Dave's equipment he mentiones that he plays a "Dukoff 6 or 7, I am not really sure". On the knew website they say that he plays a D8 but that is not true....he used to play a D8 in the 80s. Moreover he did not always play on the same Dukoff. As he has several Mark 6 he has several Dukoffs. So who knows more?

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
        (602 posts)

18 years ago

www.davidsanborn.com/gearlist.html How do you know hes changed mpcs? I've read he has only got it changed several times. May I ask why you want to know exactly what size he plays on?

Reply To Post AIM