Saxophone Forum

by SQ1
(13 posts)
18 years ago

How long do reeds last?

I recently started playing again after maybe 8 years and, without thinking, used the reeds in my case. They must have been at least 8 years old - maybe 10 - but they seem to play all right: a few squeaks, but that's my sloppy embouchure I fear. I reckon that if they sound okay, they are okay. Do you agree? And they seem quite easy to play. Is it likely they have softened over the years?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: How long do reeds last?

I dont see why they wouldnt play. Some reason older reeds tend to work more often, I usually save the reeds that dont work and they end up working later on.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

18 years ago

I'm using some 6 year old ones on my alto, they work fine... other than I had to make them softer.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

I recentley found a couple of boxes of reeds that are about 30 years old in the back of the shop in the music store I twach in, they play great!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Hahah 30 years old? thats older than me!! Ive never had reeds stuck somewhere that long, usually like a year or two...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by mingusfan69
          (9 posts)

18 years ago

From my expriences with sax and clarinet reeds, they age, like wine. Each year I buy around 10-12 boxes of reeds and let them age. Once you start to use them, however, they start to disinegrate.

Reply To Post