Saxophone Forum

by Bariboy
(18 posts)
18 years ago

making case stronger

i'm taking a trip Europe and i'm worried about my bari's safty. i dont want to have to drop $600 for a flight case. is there any way i can make my case stronger? it's a standard Yamaha bari case. thanks in advance.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GregLauer
    (37 posts)

18 years ago

Re: making case stronger

I can tell you 2 things about sax cases....... first is the case for the yamaha origional or a new case, and is your bari the Yamaha bari for that case? If so then there is nothing you can do to the case, but if its a little loose fitting ive heard of getting the case filled in in some spots like the bell area ect. Your other option at the airport is to simply not check your bari under the plane at your check in counter and simply ask the filght attendants at the gate vallet chekc your bari. when they do this its the last item on the plane set on top gently, and then you get it as soon as you get off the plane on the boarding ramp by a baggage man. your other oportunity is to buy a walt johnson case. I love theese casses they are the best on the market for flight cases and have superb reps with professional players. The bari case is under 500 which is expensive but you will never have to buy another case again. greg

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

18 years ago

ok, I'm going to go crazy here... you're going to need, duck tape 3m spray glue (the super 90 something) bondo some fiberglass fabric here is what I would do (along with paddnig on the inside. take the whole case and make it into a fiberglass shell, if the bondo dosen't stick I would take some of that super spray glue stuff and ducktape to make a hard shell, then add some straps around the whole thing to keep it closed. =) or just wrap the whole thing in a lot of duck tape.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Tbone
        (120 posts)

18 years ago

Many times damage in transit doesn't occur from the case being destroyed but moreover from the horn moving around inside the case itself. What I mean by this is, say, the case iis thrown up on a loading platform. Bang, the case hits the platform and abruptly comes to a stop but due to inertia the horn is still moving inside the case. The result is a bent or mis-aligned horn. Talk to your teck and ask him to show you how to "wedge up" a horn for shipping. This will minimize key damage. (you want to know how to do it so you can remove them when you arrive and install them when you're coming back. After the horn is properly wedged then you want to pack around it in the case with either foam or cloth to keep it from moving around inside the case during transit. Then strap it shut or tape it shut with packing tape. You can then take it as is or put the whole thing in a big duffel bag so it doesn't look so obvious on the airport carrousel.

Reply To Post